• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice from US Postal RHD owners - heater hoses

fenns7

NAXJA Forum User
My original heater hoses are on the way out (on a UK, RHD 1996 XJ) and I'm having trouble finding replacements which route the same way as the OE equivalents.
From what I gather from the FSM the p/ns are 4637 938 (supply) and 5503 6801 (return). I guess US Postal RHD XJs have the same arrangement so wondered what you guys/gals do? I do know these hoses are longer than standard US hoses as they route to the right behind the engine block and run to the heater core which is on the back right of the engine bay (as you look at it).

As ever, any guidence is much appreciated.

P.S. I'm replacing the spring clamps and believe these are 22mm & 25mm respectively (the hoses are slightly different diameters). Is this sizing correct?

I still have the hoses from my '96 parts XJ but have no idea of their condition as not seen them for years. I can have a look when I get back from holiday at the end of the - if that's any help.

Meanwhile, yes they are slightly different sizes.

Thanks muchly XJI6191 - if you don't mind that'd be really helpful. My '96 died near Exeter last month on way back from Cawsand. As ever, the recovery mechanics were pretty useless at diagosing let alone resolving the problem - "it's yer Crank sensor mate" etc. despite the alternator showing evidence of tiny silver shavings on the casing and a slightly melted serpentine belt at the pulley! Using a Bosch diagnostics reader was never going to work either - did try to warn them but what did I know :sure:

Yes, once recovered home (140 miles) it was indeed a seized alternator pulley so I've taken the opportunity to replace:

alternator (120 amp upgrade)
radiator
water pump & heater tube
t/stat housing & check (newish) t/stat
flush and replace coolant
tidy up 'time saving' bodges of previous mechanics (whole other story!)

BTW I've discovered an excellent source of alternators and starter motors near you in Plympton, Devon - nice owner and super quick delivery so if you eve need anything (he seems to know all about Jeeps too)

www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk

Not much use to forum members outside the UK but great service deserves wider recognition.

Have a great holiday and let me know what the '96 hoses look like when you get a chance.

Thanks again.

Back