• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advantages of a Wrangler

mike01166

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to decide if i want to keep spending money on my cherokee or just save up and get a TJ.

I know this is a cherokee forum but try to be un-biased as possible and help me decide.

Off road I have never seen an equivalent wrangler do what the cherokee can do. And wranglers have a bouncier ride due to the shorter wheelbase. If those 2 things don't matter to you then go for it.

cheerleader. :D

I got both.. but its an unlimited. I really like both. They are totally different rigs though. The XJ is trail only and the LJ is DD/wheeler.

If you need a newer vehicle, get the newest XJ you can. If you need brand new, get an unlimited. The shorter TJs will be wierd for you to wheel after the XJ.

I have driven my neighbors TJ on some local "trails" It's freaky. it turns on a dime, and that's awesome, but the whole time I felt like I was going to tip the thing. He did have both swaybars disco'd.
He had trouble going up a steep hill that my MJ walked up.
Wheelbase is cool for climbing, but sucks for turning. Depends what you want more.

The Cherokee is great b/c of all the gear I can keep in it, relatively safe. I think a TJ would be really neat to drive up here though. I don't know that I'd ever have the top on. I hate the way the Unlimiteds look. They look incredible after a mild lift though. I went camping with some other NAXJA members on Tincup Pass recently and Joeys white Unlimited had my attention for hours (it's majorly worked over though). 3-4 years down the road, that's probably the direction I'll head off in.

I recently got a 04 rubicon and id have to say that i had to get used to it. But I really like it. It drives nice and rides nice. Its not a replacement for an xj/mj but an addition too. Right now I own a 89' cherokee,88' Comanche, 98 Grand Cherokee 5.2 and a 04' Rubicon. Id have to say that my 89 cherokee is still my favorite.

ive been kinda interested in knowing more about the differences. I notice that you can fit bigger tires with less lift on a wrangler. I am assuming the short wheelbase is less likely to get high centered, and the body on frame is stronger. So what are the big positives of the cherokee other than space?

We have one XJ, one TJ, one YJ. The wranglers are more fun for local driving, topless is great but can be tiring on long hauls with the soft top up and wind. Easy to work on, more selection of aftermarket parts and some are a heck of a lot cheaper too...
Milage on the 2.5L is a constant 20 no matter what you do.
Annoyances is the soft top, PIA sometimes, especially if the top got cold while it was down....couple of times I've put it up mostly, fired the engine up and heater on high then it softens up...
Rear shock bolts are a PIA like the XJ, belly pan is something to get used to if you do alot of work under there.
Tips on looking at a used one, the heater box issue, put the defrosters on, fan low, then turn the fan up to high, if you hear a door slam in the box and the air shifts to 100% out the floor there is a broken pin in the box, like the XJ the heater box has to come out to fix it with the same labor charge..
In short I like ours...

I sold my 91 xj a few months ago and got an 03 rubicon. Storage space is a major problem for sure. Like said above, the longer wheelbase of an xj is good for hills but bad for tight turns. I've found that the rubi is a good wheeler right out of the box and for some reason doesn't feel near as tippy as the xj did on a 4.5 lift. I had a CJ-5 with a couple of inches of lift and 33's and an xj with 235 all terrains and the xj would climb rocks and steep hills much better than the CJ but the CJ would make it through tight trees and twisty stuff with ease. I'd say if you've got a family and wheel where there are a lot of hills then go with the XJ. If you're a no kids kind of guy get the TJ or an unlimited. Also, get the hardtop and then buy an aftermarket soft top. Try to find a rubi if you can because you might as well get most of the stuff you are going to add in the future. Contrary to popular belief, rubicons do not explode as soon as you drive them out of the mall parking lot, but they also are not indestructable as D/C would have you believe. Just use the same common sense you do with an XJ and you will do fine.

I have an '01 TJ w/ a 4 popper and a '01 XJ. My wife is now driving the XJ and I removed the lift cause she didn't want it on there and she's daily driving. Had to make her happy. The 4 popper is a little under powered and takes a little bit to get up to speed, but it's not built for speed. I really like the TJ. SWB is great for turning radius. I don't feel like I'm tipping all the time and it does great offroad, but I sure do miss my XJ. It only had 2" of lift and 30's on it, but it's hard to beat for room and comfort. It did great offroad. I could throw all my fly gear in the back and go. The TJ, I have to remove the rear seat just to have enough room. It's great having the top down and the doors off, but it's a toss-up for me. I love both dearly.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned this yet. With the top up on a half door TJ, visibility sucks. Huge blind spots to the sides, both to the back and to the front.

St3mpy said:
I'm surprised noone has mentioned this yet. With the top up on a half door TJ, visibility sucks. Huge blind spots to the sides, both to the back and to the front.

If it's not snowing or raining hard why in the world would you have the top up for ? :D

My son pulls his off in may and it does not go back on till nov...:laugh3:

Course his hard top is on now but that cause we got 18" of rain in the last 4 days and it would not drain fast enough thru the drain holes...:laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

It'll be easier to pick up guys in a wrangler...

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Happy Hunting.

Advantages:
Turns really well - good at avoiding trees, combined with less sheet metal, it's acually possible to go on a trail and not damage the body
Short wheelbase also is good for crossing ditches where an XJ would get hung up on the bumpers
Tons of available parts
Rubicons
Rear coils are liked by some
No "minivan" jokes
Interesting donuts can be done in the snow
Stock stickshift can do reverse wheelies in 4lo

Disadvantages:
SWB is inferior on some hill climbs - similar XJs seem to do better (weight transfer?)
also SWB is easier to flip over backwards (seen it happen, I was fine)
Longer seems to be better in several other cases too
SWB makes a bumpier ride (front goes over, back kicks you in the ass right as the front goes down)
Cargo capacity sucks
Your rear-seat friends will hate you
Barbie drives a wrangler
There's way too many wranglers with a 3" lift and 33s
Not an XJ
Shorter exhaust sounds rice with no muffler

Most of the people standing here with their jaws dropped just had their huge locked Wranglers winched up most of this hill (note the spotter who just had to unexpectedly run backwards):
gotrdid.jpg

Of course, the worst damage they got was a broken mirror, whereas I thrashed every leftside panel (even the gasdoor). after prying my door open I said "that'll buff right out" :laugh3::laugh3:

It's a tossup. Personal preference. I'd like to have both. If your XJ is fun for you in its present form, buy a wrangler and build it too. Don't ditch the XJ, you'll miss it at times. They're both great offroad, ya just need to pick different lines.

Last edited:
The security and extra storage space is what made me decide to get an XJ. They're very reasonable too. For under $11k you should be able to get a nice, low mileage 00-01. You can't even touch a ragged out 00 TJ sport for under $10k around here. If i were looking for an extra vehicle, i'd get a TJ in a heartbeat...for daily driving, an XJ makes more sense for me.

Eh, I just got back from running morning errands, daughter took the XJ to work, I dropped the top and went, never fails to put a smile on my face. Gotta get a CD player for it, my cassette tapes are about shot...
Gonna go polish the wheels I picked up and clear coat them, gonna be time to get new shoes for the XJ soon....

Back