• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 Random Build Items

ThunderGoat

NAXJA Forum User
I recently finished installing my 6.5'' LA kit and decided to go with the only HD SYE kit out there for the NP242 which is from tom woods. This was an incredibly easy install and deff worth the money. Here are some shots of the build.
image_8.jpg

32 spline output shaft w/new speedo housing

image_11.jpg

T-case opened.

image_9.jpg

Chain drive/planetary gear removed w/out having to remove front yoke. This is something inherent to the NP242 in that by removing a lock ring from the front drive output shaft, you are able to slide off the gear/chain assembly w/out removing the front yoke.

image_12.jpg

stock 27 spline output shaft w/chain out. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE/REUSE ALL WASHERS/LOCK RINGS THAT ARE ON THE SHAFT REARWARD OF THE SPEEDO HOUSING SEAL (as mentioned in the build kit)

image_10.jpg

I think I read that there are 52-53 of these needle bearings to deal with? Having read a thread on here, I used petroleum jelly, liberally, to stick them to the side wall.

image_13.jpg

finished and all sealed up.

Unfortunately, I didn't follow my own advise and had to reopen the case and start over from scratch after noticing the thin, needle bearing retaining washer was left on the old shaft!!.
In any case, it took me 20min, instead of the 1.5hrs to get the case open/torn apart again.

You will definitely need a good set of lock-ring pliers that have a flat tip. I got mine at a large department store that sells tools also, the one usually in the mall, for $8. The install is real straight forward and there are multiple threads explaining how to tear open the NP242. Plus the directions that came with the kit were very helpful. I'd say the trickiest part was keeping all the needle bearings seated as you insert the new HD shaft. Once that was done, it's as simple as reinstalling the various washers/rings/bolts. You don't have to shave an 1'' off the shift rod like you do with the NP231; the speedo housing fits just like the stock one. Another good tip is to make sure you lube up the output shaft seal with petroleum jelly prior to inserting the speedo housing. This ensures you have lubrication on the initial "dry" startup and you won't rip the new seal. I will post a pic of it installed and my new custom drive shaft too. Lots more to come.

I recently finished installing my 6.5'' LA kit and decided to go with the only HD SYE kit out there for the NP242 which is from tom woods. This was an incredibly easy install and deff worth the money. Here are some shots of the build.

Unfortunately, I didn't follow my own advise and had to reopen the case and start over from scratch after noticing the thin, needle bearing retaining washer was left on the old shaft!!.
In any case, it took me 20min, instead of the 1.5hrs to get the case open/torn apart again.

You will definitely need a good set of lock-ring pliers that have a flat tip. I got mine at a large department store that sells tools also, the one usually in the mall, for $8. The install is real straight forward and there are multiple threads explaining how to tear open the NP242. Plus the directions that came with the kit were very helpful. I'd say the trickiest part was keeping all the needle bearings seated as you insert the new HD shaft. Once that was done, it's as simple as reinstalling the various washers/rings/bolts. You don't have to shave an 1'' off the shift rod like you do with the NP231; the speedo housing fits just like the stock one. Another good tip is to make sure you lube up the output shaft seal with petroleum jelly prior to inserting the speedo housing. This ensures you have lubrication on the initial "dry" startup and you won't rip the new seal. I will post a pic of it installed and my new custom drive shaft too. Lots more to come.

I agree that it is worth it.

You only had to take it apart once more? Nice. I think I took mine apart 4 or 5 times putting it together.

Back