• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ With a Rod Knock

What would you do with a rod knock

• Try and repair

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Drive it until it goes

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Put new engine in

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Caged94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Would you attempt to repair this, drive it until it goes, or put a new engine in and why?

Um..... it's a '97....... kill it with fire. :D

LOL Mark...... can you be any more vague?

If it's a clean bodied, good interior, solid rig...... why not find an engine for it and continue to drive it?

Driving it until it blows isn't really smart..... you could cause an oil slick on the road/highway and be the cause of bigger tragedy for someone else.

Repairing a knocking engine is generally more expensive and still only a temporary fix unless you do a full rebuild.

Or you part it out......... so I'll toss in my dibs now for a full front clip k thx.

If it truly is a rod knocking, and you can hear a distinct knock, the cap has already been stretched. No telling the condition of the rod journals without a tear down. I doubt there is an inexpensive solution.

How many miles on the engine?

I'm a cheap ass so I would likely do some exploratory surgery and see just how bad the damage is. May be able to get a few more miles/trail runs out of it with a fairly cheap set of bearings.

If you haven't already,check the 4 bolts for the torque converter that attach it to the flex plate. Mine came loose one time and it sounded exactly like a rod knock. Its kind of a long shot but still something to check out.

Torque converter bolts are good... And yes Troy it is clean, you should remember it.

Troy, I can't believe that you'd curse your project with parts from a 97. I believe it was you that said the only way to fix a 97 is with fire.

Troy, I can't believe that you'd curse your project with parts from a 97. I believe it was you that said the only way to fix a 97 is with fire.

Body parts are excluded. Anything electrical...... by all means. :D

I have not one but two 97s and they have been solid as rocks.

Hahahaha. I just stumbled upon this after reading about Troy's little ummmmmm rod knock. Any way of knowing if he voted to drive it til it sploded? :conceited

Hahahaha. I just stumbled upon this after reading about Troy's little ummmmmm rod knock. Any way of knowing if he voted to drive it til it sploded? :conceited

I LOL'd......:roflmao:

Back