• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ with terraflex extreme SYE - in and out play with rear output shaft

algebraic429

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 93 xj a couple weeks ago and the previous owner installed a terraflex extreme SYE. I drove it for a few days and when i got home i noticed the transfer case leaking pretty bad from the rear output shaft seal. also a clunking noise when you take off from a stop. when i got underneath to replace the seal i noticed with rear driveshaft unbolted from the yoke, you can grab the yoke and move it in and out of the transfer case about 1/2"-3/4" I went ahead and replaced the seal and then torqued the nut down to 140lbs but it still has this in and out play. ive never owned a jeep so i feel pretty lost.

Picture of how far out the yoke sits

Is it possible to download the install instructions from Teraflex? If so, consider doing that and seeing if they mention anything about this sort of play.

Is it possible to download the install instructions from Teraflex? If so, consider doing that and seeing if they mention anything about this sort of play.
I called terraflex, that amount of play is not good. Lucky for me there is a local 4x4 shop that can look into it for a reasonable price.

i had that once, forgot to install the second snap ring after the needle bearings
I'm actually thinking the snap ring that holds the output shaft bearing or the wrong yoke because it sandwiches that bearing.

Wouldn’t the wrong yoke just not fit correctly? It wouldn’t move the whole shaft right ?
If the spline section is to short it might not clamp tight against the bearing allowing the shaft to float

Back