• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ Progress pics

raceready

NAXJA Forum User
It has been a while since my last post, and I just wanted to share some pics of the 91. At this point the interior is 95 percent done, and the last couple of major things to do are front and rear bumpers, and strengthening the long arm mounts...

Here is a list of all the mods I have done..(that I can think of right now)

suspension:

I'm not sure what it's sitting at now for lift now that all the parts are going back on but it consists of a 3/4 ton dodge van leaf packs (I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this, but the dodge van has the same distance from the front eye to the center pin that the Jeep has, and has some 3 extra inches in the back! and they are still pretty soft!). i'm using one s10 leaf cut down in the front as an AAL, and may add one more if the back settles too much after the bumpers are on. I used half ton chevy truck shackles that have a mild boomerang and also give some extra lift, I have not yet bottomed the shackles on the rear of the body. The front end has V8 ZJ coils with spacers that I built myself. I fabbed my own long arm (clatyon style) setup with 2.5 in Johnny Joints at the body mounts. I still have to figure out what I am going to do with the trackbar and the draglink. So far, I have been impressed with the ride and flex that it has, but honestly have not been able to really test it hard yet.

Body:
the rockers were GONE when i bought it, and I did a full rocker replacement with 3/16 2x6 rect steel tube. Numerous places on the body were rusted thru and I spent a lot of time cutting and patching bits and pieces. I have installed power mirrors out of a 99. Also added factory privacy glass. I wanted to get rid of the metal trim around the windshield so I used a 99 windshield with the rubber moulding.

interior:
I have most of the interior out of a 99 XJ, including the front seats. I cut the floor braces out of the 99 and plug and lap welded them to the floor of the 91. I also had to relocate the rear mount for the outer tracks, and reinforce the floor there as well. I used the headliner, rear seat, carpet, and seatbelts from the 99 as well. The dash, console, door panels and steering column, remain the older style pieces, but even they were upgraded as I used those parts from a 93 due to the fact that my wife wanted to get rid of the tan interior.

electrical:
Ran lots of new wire. I upgraded the dash wiring to 93 specs and rewired much of the body as well. All splices have been soldered and shrink tubed. I have installed a Clifford remote start/alarm/pager system, rewired the door wiring to accept a stock 97+ power mirror. I also ran several auxiliary circuts for future expansion. I wanted to add the factory overhead console with compass and temp like the one in my 97 but could not find one to work with, so I added a autodimming, compass, and thermometer rear view mirror from a suburban. Rewired the foglight circut to work whenever parklights, hi or lo beams are on. Got rid of every damn metal push and twist (and break the bulb off in your hand) taillight and parklight socket and changed over to the new style blade type bulbs. I also updated the front and rear wiper motors to the newer units.

I have done every thing myself with a few exceptions. I had a professional install the windshield due to safety factors, I had to have the rear subframe straightened slightly, and finally my wonderful wife (who gets this XJ when its done) did ALL of the PAINTING! (Because it would have gotten really ugly if I had tried to learn to paint) This was the first time she had ever painted anything! She and I spent several all nighters painting it. (she is getting really good too).

Well, here are the pics....and thanks everyone for this forum which has helped me out of many jams on this project.

Joel

f740cf73.jpg

f740cf85.jpg

f740cf90.jpg

f740cf9c.jpg

f740cfaa.jpg

f740cfbd.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like you've put a lot of time and energy into this Jeep ... great to hear you've included your wife into this project. Sounds like you all have enjoyed yourselves with it ... hopefully without bickering at each other? :)

Post some pics of your XJ when your done ... looking good so far.

Les

Back