• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ cutting out

addction

NAXJA Forum User
Having some problems with the motor cutting out. I first noticed it on the trail a week ago. It was missing when you put it in gear & would die. If you could get it to run it would cut in & out and if you went up a hill it would also die. So I replaced the spark plug wires & plugs & I found that the Crank sensor wire had a spot where it melted on the header so I replaced it & it ran fine. This week it started cutting in & out agine only when it's hot & only in reverse. I also replaced the fuel filter & checked fuel pressure & every thing looks good. Any one have any ideas what's wrong with this thing? It has me stumped. Thanks Joe

My old 89 XJ's ground strap wasn't screwed down well to the head. It caused it to cut out. Doubt that is your problem but it is worth checking out. The ground strap runs from the back of the head to the firewall.

I bought a bigger ground strap and bolted it down, along with adding ground cable from the negative to the body. It solved my problem as well as increasing the voltage amounts on the gauge.

That's not a bad idea. I'll check it tonight. My Volatge Gauge doesnt work so that might be why. Thanks for the reply. I dont know what else to do & I didnt know if any on else has the same problem. Thanks, Joe

Back