• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Cherokee 4.0 Auto - Wont Start

With voltage to ballast and to pump nothing> Then unfortunately it id probably pump/sender unit.

Good news is you wont have to drop the tank to do it. But besure it is empty or nearly empty when you do it.

Not my luck. After replacing the CPS, I promptly filled the tank. That was the day it died.

:(

I have my new pump, it's the elcheapo from VatoZone, $77.99 with a LLT.

Dessert, is it running yet? If it still won't start, check the fuse to the fuel pump relay circuit. A bad fuel pump will sometimes blow that fuse.

Just put my tank back into '88 Jeep after removing it to sleave the frame rails.
Now it cranks strong but no fire.
The fuel pump is not coming on and I only have drips at the fuel rail. Resistor on the fender seems to be fine. Also the gas gauge is freaking out, it reads way pass full when the key is off and goes back to normal with the key on. The pump is fairly new.
Where is this fuel pump fuse? I could not find it.
Any help is appreciated.

Pair8, since you removed the tank, and the fuel gauge is acting up, that's where I'd start. My manual shows three wires coming from the tank unit:
1. Orange is the power wire, going straight to the resistor (changing to orange/black).
2. Violet goes to the gauge.
3. Black is the ground wire.

I'd suspect the ground wire isn't connected....? If you don't see anything obviously loose, you'll have to do checks with a multimeter, checking power to the ballast resistor, and then going to the pump. Then check the ground wire.

All the wires look good coming off of the pump.

Can you bypass the ballast resistor?

Yes, you can bypass the resistor. It's purpose is to quieten the fuel pump, and extend it's life.

There should be 12v on one side of the resistor, and about 9-10v on the other side with the key on. If no voltage is present, check the fuel pump relay located in the "relay center" near the battery.

Problem Solved.

Bad Ground Connector on Pump Bracket in tank.

~10ohms across terminals.

~120kOhms. Across Plug. Something must be wrong.

Checked each wire. 0.4ohms on one, and the other was 120k.

Solved that 5 week mystery.

Back