• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 landcruiser drive line in my XJ

R

rpb154

Hello all

I have a 93’ 2door XJ. I’m just graduating college and getting married so I definitely have a budget. My soon to be brother in law has a left over driveline from a build he is doing on an mid 80’s land cruiser, and will give me the drive line for next to nothing (everything from engine to axles). I’m trying to get some input my Cherokee has the 2.5 with the 5 speed. The land cruiser is their straight 6 with the 4 speed. I would also have to either convert the front of mine to leaf or modify the Toyota axle. What do you guys think about this mod and any guidance? The jeep has seen everything off-road been sunk twice and hold some local speed records on the rail road bed. I’m also considering a top chop. Which I have found lots of input by searching; I’m looking for input on the Toyota drive line.

Thanks Ryan

thanks for the reference

but i'm looking for info/advice on putting the land cruiser drive line under my cherokee. Things such as weaknesses in the drive line, or should I build a subframe and stick with the leafs all the way around? or stick with my unibody and coil springs?

I hope to do all of the work myself with the assistance of some close friends and family.

rpb154 said:
thanks for the reference

but i'm looking for info/advice on putting the land cruiser drive line under my cherokee. Things such as weaknesses in the drive line, or should I build a subframe and stick with the leafs all the way around? or stick with my unibody and coil springs?

I hope to do all of the work myself with the assistance of some close friends and family.

I think it would be easier to put coil buckets on the axle than to change your front end to leaf springs... as for the driveline... use what you can get I guess... it's different

I have a friend that wheels a FJ-60 and a FJ-40, and from what I have learned from what he has said is that the drivetrains one those vehicles are pretty stought and can withstain a beating (watch my friend wheel his rigs and you'll belive it). With that said however, that entire drivetrain is very heavy. The engine, dubbed the "Iron Maiden", is heavier than a SB 350 and is carburated. The axles are decent, FJ-60 axles are stronger than FJ-40, but have two drawbacks in my eyes. The front uses birdfields joints (which can be upgraded to be really good units if you got the cash), and the rear uses c-clips. Overall it is a good drivetrain if you own a landcruiser, but I wouldn't go out of my way to swap it in another vehicle especially an XJ. I'd try to find a wrecked XJ you can get for cheap that has a good 4.0L and AX-15 and swap it into your rig.

My .02

Certainly a durable drivetrain.

The axles are much stronger than the XJ's, but probably more expensive to do lockers, upgrades & maintenance.

You would have alot of fabrication, building crossmembers, floor pan mod's for the shifters, radiator mounting, exhaust etc. to get the Toy. engine, and trans. in.

You would probably have to get the driveshaft length changed. Electrical would all have to come out of the Toyota. Emissions may be a problem.

Spare parts might be hard to find.

It's doable but it would take alot of skills and probably more money to get the Toy. parts in than if you picked up a donor XJ with a 4.0.

Beside combining Toyota and Jeep is just crazy.

87xjco said:

LOL

I say keep the axles but use a Jeep 4.0L. Those FJ-60 axles are pretty strong. You would be limited on parts and they can be more expensive. If you are on a budget then leaves up front would most likely be cheaper for you.

edit:
I can't remember for sure but aren't they passenger drop on the front and the rear is offset to the drivers side? If so then a new T-case would be in order and the whole project might not be worth it.

The front and rear axles are offset to the passenger side, so if you use the axles, you'll need to use the entire driveline, or at least adapt an offset T-case, like the Advanced Adaptors Orion, to the AW4.

The axles are still 30 spline units, so you really gain no strength over a Dana 44 in the rear. The front is marginally stronger than a 30, but hard to find parts for. Locking hubs are nice.

CRASH

87xjco said:
Certainly a durable drivetrain.

The axles are much stronger than the XJ's, but probably more expensive to do lockers, upgrades & maintenance.

You would have alot of fabrication, building crossmembers, floor pan mod's for the shifters, radiator mounting, exhaust etc. to get the Toy. engine, and trans. in.

You would probably have to get the driveshaft length changed. Electrical would all have to come out of the Toyota. Emissions may be a problem.

Spare parts might be hard to find.

It's doable but it would take alot of skills and probably more money to get the Toy. parts in than if you picked up a donor XJ with a 4.0.

you could keep your engine and tranny, use their axles, and get yourself a dana 300... new driveshafts would be in order and a WHOLE lot of mods... in my opinion it would be more trouble than it's worth and would be easier to get yourself a late 70s ford pickup and get 60s front and rear and use it's axles and drivetrain... you would also end up with a 205 tcase that you could hypothetically double with your current case... I think

LilRedRover said:
you could keep your engine and tranny, use their axles, and get yourself a dana 300... new driveshafts would be in order and a WHOLE lot of mods... in my opinion it would be more trouble than it's worth and would be easier to get yourself a late 70s ford pickup and get 60s front and rear and use it's axles and drivetrain... you would also end up with a 205 tcase that you could hypothetically double with your current case... I think

Really, and how would he deal with the passenger offset rear axle?

I was reading last night, in an old 4 wheeler magazine about the 2FE Toyota landcruiser engine. I think that is what you have. They're pretty notorious for being low powered in the upper RPM range. If you have the carb'd 6cyl., they are even worse.

And that's the problem you already have with the 2.5ltr.

According to the article, they can be built for much better power and they covered the steps they took to do it, higher compression forged pistons, head work, headers and new intake, balanced and blue printed, but it's not cheap.

CRASH said:
Really, and how would he deal with the passenger offset rear axle?

I don't know... enginuity I guess... I just know my uncle has a 79 FJ40 and the axles are sweet with some longfields in em, but the engine is a dog... Come to think of it though, his Tcase is actually pretty good so maybe he would be ahead to use that...

baseballneal86 said:
A 231/205 doubler? That's something I'd like to see... :wierd:

yeah I am thinking I saw an article on the internet somewhere when someone had done it... dunno if I am remember correctly or not, that's why I said I think

87xjco said:
I was reading last night, in an old 4 wheeler magazine about the 2FE Toyota landcruiser engine. I think that is what you have. They're pretty notorious for being low powered in the upper RPM range. If you have the carb'd 6cyl., they are even worse.

And that's the problem you already have with the 2.5ltr.

According to the article, they can be built for much better power and they covered the steps they took to do it, higher compression forged pistons, head work, headers and new intake, balanced and blue printed, but it's not cheap.

DITTO.

I own a 79 Crusher: Great truck; Pulls out tree stumps; Drags buildings; and sounds like it's going to explode at highway speeds. Of course you could always changes out your diff gears, but you'd lose a bunch of torque.

Tough as nails...like an M-Type vehicle, but not a good all-around daily driver drivetrain if you need to commute any distance.

I did finally swap out my suspension for an Old Man Emu which changed it from a buckboard wagon to a WWII Power Wagon. Much improved, but my XJ rides better over long distances.

BUT...if you got nothing but time (and lots of money never hurts a project), then by all means build you a b*str*d child of a Jeep.

Also be sure to install a welder and a compressor cause with that b*st*rd mixture of parts you might need both to get out of the boonies one day.

DJ

i deal with yota's all the time, thats seems like a big hassle to me. ford 44's and 9" are plentiful around hear plus 44's a high pinion. Cruiser axles are tough, not me kinda tough but tough none the less. The most desired is the 80 axle, the have huge birfeilds and put the tie rod behind the axle stock, stock hp front chunk, and also can be found with e-lockers front and rear pass diff front and rear though. How do you guys flop the t case drop to pass side? Alot of fj 40 guys i know switch to mini truck alxe because the parts are plentiful and easily modified. I dont even know anyone that wheels a 60 but im pretty sure that those alxes are geared pretty low factory my mom used to dd one and about 60mph it was screaming. just my two cents

Later, Jake

Plus if you got the hp 44 it's already got raduis arms that you could eaily extend and bolt up. My buddy did this on his xj and the coils sit a little duck footed but only by one inch on each side. Also the 44 is reverse rotation gears like the hp 30. That would be the simpleist swap.

Back