• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

63" chevy leafs on an XJ.

I put an anti wrap bar on mine and hate it.... lost a ton of flex. That's why I'm following this thread. But on the plus side I have zero axle wrap.

What spring setup are you running?
I went with the chevy 63's both for the longer leaf (better articulation, smoother ride) as well as they're thicker individual leafs and all 4 leafs are within' about 6" of each other, which should help with wrap.
When I look at that video, the wrap really doesn't seem bad enough to worry about, but I figure a few opinions might change my mind. On the street thus far, it doesn't feel like it's wrapping, and I'm not getting any wheel hop at all anymore, but I'm also still sorta babying it until I know for sure that the pinion isn't going to smoke the chassis again, blowing up my new DS and warping my new leafs :)

I'm running an inverted XJ spring for the wheelbase.... below is a pic.... you can see how bad the shackle angle is. I'm considering going with a 63 or maybe a S10 main inverted. What I need is something soft enough to flex... provide 4.5 inches of lift and strong enough to let me ditch the anti wrap.

I did the front 3 link so what I should probably do is just go with a double triangulated 4 link and fix all my problems..... and for the record I wheeled my MJ hard... really hard.... with these same axles and wheels and never had an issue with axle wrap on stock MJ springs over the axle. I think from the video I'd beat the crap out of that thing and not worry about it.

DSC_0549.JPG

just a suggestion but extending the spring platform and studding/bolting the spring at a longer stance than the U-bolts will do something that might be desirable if you aren't looking forward to a traction bar.

just a suggestion but extending the spring platform and studding/bolting the spring at a longer stance than the U-bolts will do something that might be desirable if you aren't looking forward to a traction bar.

That's definitely on the list of considerations, but I wanna try to get as much dealt with as possible, using what I've got first. I really don't wanna have to cut off those spring perches with a goddamn sawsall again. (I foolishly traded in my Multi Arc/Tig/Plasma for a Mig/Arc/Tig).

Okay. I stuck an xj main leaf above the lower leaf (xj main is 3/4" longer than the shortest leaf). Helped massively with the sway and is supporting the mass much better, but still flexes real nice. I don't believe I have any wrap now either. Hammering the skinny, I've got no hop, and it just goes.

So, 63" 3.5" lift chev leafs with the overload removed is just right for 5.5" lift on a stock weight rig. With the xj main thrown in, its just right for 6" and 1150lbs rear weight.

I'm planning the stretch now. Going to cut out the entire rear well and cage it in with some 2x2 tube, and extend it back about 4-5", then move the axle back 2".

As for shocks, I probably my need something stiffer than the bilstiens. I can almost bottom out the entire rear on the moguls. Right bow, due to axle location, I'm actually bottoming out on the drive shaft splines. Whoops.

Back