• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4low and neutral not engaging

There's nothing I can do. I've tried everything I can think of down there. With a second pair of hands and eyes I might be able to figure it out but without someone moving the lever and someone looking from below, I think I'm at a stalemate. Good to know 4low works tho. If anyone is willing to swing by this afternoon that would be great. Im about to head to a job interview but should be back by 2-230. Pm me for my number if your interested. Thanks.

Sent from your subconscious without you knowing.....

Normally when I adjust the linkage, I'll set the t-case in 2hi. Then adjust the linkage to where the shifter is ~1/8" back from hitting the gate.

Maybe try the reverse of this and adjust the linkage for 4low. Lock the case in and then adjust the lever so it's in the 4low position.

A lot of people have built new linage uses some threaded rod and female rod ends. Eliminates the bushings. There's probably a few write ups on here as well.

my experience says stock linkage works just fine in a stock jeep.

it would literary have to fall apart in your hands for those bushings to be bad enough for it to prevent 4 low from engaging.

throw it in 4 low manually from underneath, loosen the adjusting bolt, and push the slack out of the rod with your fingers.

then tighten it back up.

that's all there is to it. this is a simple system.

I get that joe and it's what I did. There's just too much slop for it to engage 4low. I'm out of ideas. Maybe I'm missing something but I've tried it all.

Correct. I drove it around me parking lot. Well. I went back and forth. No turning haha.

I agree with the others. If you have proven that you can manually get it into each of the gears then the linkage should be relatively easy.

I remember I did have to adjust several times the first time I did this.

Adjust it on one end like Dustin suggested, then get your girl to slowly move it into each gear on the top with the shifter, you watch it from underneath. Once she can not get it to engage into a different possition leave it there and undo the linkage from the bottom and see which way it needs to move to get it into the gear.

It is not unlikely that the issue is that you are moving the lever too far, instead of not far enough.

Michael

take the plasic reader out of the console were the shifter is and if it works without it then there u go. if not then just get a new linkage and bushing set or make ur own.

whats that gonna do for him?

He thinks that's gonna let it slide more and let the lever move the tc into position. However he forgets or doesn't know about the metal track below the plastic reader that is what actually allows the handle to move. (I tried already :) )

Nope. Not lifted. Well, not fully. I have shackles in the back to level it out again, that's all

This seemed a little expensive, until it was installed. Now living The Dream.

CIMG0522.jpg

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/shifters/sk2xc.htm

I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet but I think this is the next thing I am going to do to mine. I'm tired of trying to shift a marshmallow. Not to mention the last couple of times it hasn't wanted to shift back to 2hi.

Exhale and squeeze. Waiting 8-months is my only regret.
I finally rationalized it this way: The cable is worth $50, custom bracket fabrication & hardware $100, smiling cause the tc shifts like butter ... PRICELESS.
I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet but I think this is the next thing I am going to do to mine. I'm tired of trying to shift a marshmallow. Not to mention the last couple of times it hasn't wanted to shift back to 2hi.

but i dont want it there. hence why its here. id rather get some local input from people who have a track record of actually knowing what they are talking about rather than a bunch of yahoos trying to regurgitate the info the read somewhere once 6 months ago.

but i dont want it there. hence why its here. id rather get some local input from people who have a track record of actually knowing what they are talking about rather than a bunch of yahoos trying to regurgitate the info the read somewhere once 6 months ago.
I'm starting to LOVE you..:lecture:

This may be pointless, but worth the check. There's a horizontal rod from your body to a bracket. Ensure this is FULLY in place. If the bushing is hiding the misalignment, I'm pretty sure it'd have fallen out by now though. Best bet is get your "super-awesome-spectacular-ladyfriend" in there shifting so you can see where the play is from underneath.

hmm....now, where have i heard that before?

:laugh:

Back