• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

47 Ford truck Rat Rod build.

I agree it would be easier but I want to try and keep it all Ford parts if I can. I am trying to talk my boss out of his 32 frame he has all setup the way I want. He wants to take his 32 ford truck back to stock.

After some thinking I think my plan is going to be to ditch the OE frame and build my own. I am looking at about 250 bucks for enough 2x4x3/16 wall tubing. To me I think it will be easier to just start new and build it the way I want instead of making the other one work. If I go with a new frame I will have to get a state issued VIN since there is no VIN on the cab of the truck. Plan on getting the title fixed for the OE frame and try and sell it with the front clip to cover the cost of the new frame material. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

As far as engines go, I have friend that was building a 47 Willys Jeepster. He has a 1950 Olds 303 Rocket he was gonna put in it but has changed his mind. Those engines were the engines in the early 50's, it needs a rebuild but it is 100% there even the stock air cleaner. I think it would be cool and period correct in a truck like that. Let me know if u r interested, i'll see if he wants to sell it.

Stay with the stock style solid front axle, just get a lowered beam. Www.speedwaymotors.com is a great resource for building old hot rods like this, their prices are hard to beat too.

I would really like to run the original flathead 6. Everything is all there but the shifter for the trans. Which is like finding a needle in a hay stack. I have been spending a lot of time at speed way getting ideas and prices. I am trying to figure out a way to run the truck beam with a suicide setup. Trying to use what I have and keep new part buying to a minimum.

20140312_121147_zpsehb09gtu.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up some parts for the truck today. Got a running 68 302 for 100 bucks. Also picked up a couple of freebies from my boss. A 32 Ford grille and fuel cell.

20140323_220646_zpsjzbq1unu.jpg

Awesome. Would love to do an old truck but I'm getting my a$$ handed to me at times with a motorcycle but it was a smarter decision for a first project.

A few more parts I picked up today. AOD trans with shift kit, starter and a few extras for 75 bucks. Trying to keep this entire build under 3k with the truck included. Think I just might be able to do it.

20140324_203313_zpsm41jlv3b.jpg

20140324_200527_zpsw66chswo.jpg

Made a mock up frame today so I can get an idea of the fitment of everything. Still need to set the 302 in there so I can get an idea for the final wheelbase. This should be pretty close to ride height, 5.5 inches from the frame to the ground.

20140401_211201_zps8rueelxx.jpg

20140401_211123_zpssxad9x4k.jpg

20140401_204912_zpswspjhyfr.jpg

20140401_211144_zpsbw3d11ry.jpg

:thumbup:

I have been spending a lot of free time over there. Tons of good info. Hopefully today or tomorrow my suicide axle kit will arrive. Most expensive purchase for the build so far at 450 bucks. So far I have about 1200 into it.

IMO, lay the grill down at a steeper angle than you have in the photo. Are you planning a tube frame, I hope? Given the age of the original frame, it will not take kindly to be sectioned.

Go ahead, ask me how I, unfortunately, know....

Too bad you already have a modern V8 for it. What would be cool would be a flathead V8 with a B&M supercharger, Edelbrock aluminium heads and a pair of 4bbl Carbs. Authentic Rat Rod that is.

You know, way back in the day, the big Cadillac engine was the power plant of choice. Coupled to a three speed non-synchromesh transmission.

Sort of hard to drive, but that was the point of a Rat.

I just sat the grill on there for a visual reference. Still waiting for the front suspension to arrive and set the 302 in there to get it all lined up with how I like it. The original frame is not going to be used. Going with a new scratch built frame. Still trying to track down someone to weld it up for me. I would love a flathead v8 but the price they are going for is not in the budget. I have seen a few flathead 6 turbo builds online that are pretty interesting. But for now the 302 is what I will be running.

I think the grille should follow the same angle as the windshield just to keep the lines right. Are you gonna repaint the engine? Mid 50's ford red would be cool along with black valve covers or vice versa.

Well the 302 and aod is out of the picture. I mocked it up today and it just looked out of place in the old truck. So I am going to be running the flathead 6. So I traded the 302 and aod for a complete running 48 Ford flathead 6 to a guy off Craigslist. I saw it run and helped pull the engine and trans. So I am going to run this flathead 6 and use the other flathead 6 I have for a future flathead turbo build. I also traded another guy my hood and fenders for a set of 1930 model A headlights and grille. I should hopefully be building the frame in the next few weeks. Once that is done the build should go pretty quick.

Got some work done today. The flathead 6 is in and mocked up, also got the knuckles on the new axle and mocked up. Now I can't decide what grill to run. I like both but I think I am leaning towards the 30 model A grill. I need to choose so I can order the radiator and figure out the final frame length. Which one do you guys think I should run?

20140409_175245_zpsklgwetrk.jpg

2014-04-09%2017.54.01_zpsbcfmcma2.jpg

Back