• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 ring and pinions now available for the 8.25 chrysler!

I emailed them asking questions about the brand, and gave a link to this thread, and this is the response I got...

Nitro Gear & Axle is our line of quality differential parts. The gears are manufactured to our specs in Korea by probably the best gear manufacturer in the world. We spent nearly a year developing them, and there have been 0 failures to date. Looks like there are a few guys that are clueless to differentials on that forum. Many of the popular "name brands" have switched to using china, we do not. I have personally test fit these gears and been involved with the development of them, and can say that they are top notch. The gears are made of 8620 quality forgings. They are CNC machined, heat treated & lapped to provide the best fitting, strongest, and quietest possible. Not only that they are THE ONLY 4.88 for chrysler 8.25" available.

I thought the reason nobody made 4.88's was because of clearance issues with putting the corss shaft back in the carrier. If you made c-clip elimator kit for the 8.25, then I could see 4.88's being possible. Hell now you need to grind the gears, just to put 4.56s in.

I thought the reason nobody made 4.88's was because of clearance issues with putting the corss shaft back in the carrier. If you made c-clip elimator kit for the 8.25, then I could see 4.88's being possible. Hell now you need to grind the gears, just to put 4.56s in.
This really isn't a big deal, many axles require notching the gears when running a deeper gear set. Because of the nature of a hypoid gear set, at no point is all the force applied to an individual tooth. Therefore, strength is not an issue. Besides, it only takes a minute to grind the tooth enough to slide the pin in.

Hello all,
I and saw this post about the 4.88 gears for chrysler 8.25, and found it interesting that people would jump to conclusions so easily. I personally was involved with the development of this product, and they have been released under our premium line of differential products, "Nitro Gear & Axle". So far we have produced several items that have not been available by our competitors. We saw the need for 4.88, developed them, tested them, and released them. As for clearence grinding for the crosspin, this is standard procedure that any competant diff installer would be familiar with. There is no way around it, and after doing hundreds myself and overseeing it many more times, I have yet to see a failure if ground properly. Furthermore, these gears are made of the highest quality 8620 forgings, and machine cut, heat treated, and lapped to provide a strenth, precision fit, and quiet running.

Also just to prove it to you this is for real and that we are a premier source for differential parts for your XJ, we have just become a TITANIUM Level sponsor of the NAXJA forum.
[email protected]
www.justdifferentials.com
509-888-AXLE (2953)

I am not worried about the grinding of the teeth on the ring gear effecting strength. It was more of a clearance issue. Just how much would you have to remove to slide the cross shaft in? If there was a c-clip eliminator kit for the 8.25, which I have look into designing and developing myself. Capital is my only hang-up, the design work is done. You wouldn't have to worry about the cross-shaft at all and you could develop pretty much any ratio that the gears could handle, 4.88, 5.13, 5.38 etc.

I am glad somebody has finallly taken the steps to develop and manufacture 4.88's for the 8.25. If they were available when 4.88 came for the Dana 30, I would have gone with those in a heart beat instead of my 4.56's.

I have the 4.88 already sitting on my desk, waiting to get the axle prepared. But will trust them any moment, I already have 2 of JTs premiums brand sets on my comp rig and they hold good!

C-clip eliminators dont have a real good track record for reliability and typically require permanant modifications to the housing. I do see some benifit of bolt in vs. c/clip, but grinding the gear is proven to be OK, so no need to develop something solely for this reason. Remember 4.56 have been around for a long time and also require grinding. This is common in many diffs. Some ford diffs even require grinding at 3.73!

I am not worried about the grinding of the teeth on the ring gear effecting strength. It was more of a clearance issue. Just how much would you have to remove to slide the cross shaft in? If there was a c-clip eliminator kit for the 8.25, which I have look into designing and developing myself. Capital is my only hang-up, the design work is done. You wouldn't have to worry about the cross-shaft at all and you could develop pretty much any ratio that the gears could handle, 4.88, 5.13, 5.38 etc.

I am glad somebody has finallly taken the steps to develop and manufacture 4.88's for the 8.25. If they were available when 4.88 came for the Dana 30, I would have gone with those in a heart beat instead of my 4.56's.

No I agree with you that grinding is fine.

I am not sure what kits you are talking about, but the new super 88 seems to work fine. Yes most require permanant mods to the housing. But you are basically turning a c-clip axle into a standard semi-float housing. Seems to work for all teh Ford 9's out there. My c-clip eliminator kit that I've designed takes a cue from the super 88, but fits the 8.25. Along with stepping up the spline count to 31, using standard off the shelf 9" axle shafts. My capital hang up come in the fact of there are no 31 spline count diffs for the 8.25. I thought about seeing I could adapt a chryco 31 spline 9.25, but never had the opportunity to truly look into it.

But the long and short of it is, I am glad somebody finally stepped up and made 4.88's for the 8.25. Myself, I have a ford 9 ready to go in. After two sets of yukon 8.25 gears, bent housing and beginning of seperation of axle tubes from the center diff.....I am ready to step up to something bigger.

C-clip eliminators dont have a real good track record for reliability and typically require permanant modifications to the housing. I do see some benifit of bolt in vs. c/clip, but grinding the gear is proven to be OK, so no need to develop something solely for this reason. Remember 4.56 have been around for a long time and also require grinding. This is common in many diffs. Some ford diffs even require grinding at 3.73!

The website is www.nitro-gear.com
The sight is currently under construction, as we are busy with differential related tasks. Although we would like to have a fancy website running asap, it is not up to us. We deal in gears not websites. Unless you prefer getting your gears from website developers?

apparently nitro gear and axle doesnt have a website, and if they cant get a basic website up, i sure wouldnt trust them to make gears.

Wait a second, I don't remember doing any grinding when installing my 4.56's in my 8.25, can someone else verify that this must be done with 4.56 and 4.88? I don't really see why, just remove the ring gear and slide the pin in and be done with it.

-Alex

I don't really see why, just remove the ring gear and slide the pin in and be done with it.

-Alex
You have to have the pin out to install the c-clip axle shafts, and you can't exactly remove the ring gear with the carrier installed.

Wait a second, I don't remember doing any grinding when installing my 4.56's in my 8.25, can someone else verify that this must be done with 4.56 and 4.88? I don't really see why, just remove the ring gear and slide the pin in and be done with it.

-Alex
I had to have a tooth ground down a bit when the shop install 4.56s in my 8.25.

Back