• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 owners-YAY or NAY???

What do you plan on doing with the XJ? Serious wheelin'? Occasional logging road? Just a DD?

If it's serious wheelin' then you might have an issue with the head. Not really a big deal if you're mechanically inclined.

I've replaced my cracked head, but I tow, drive my XJ thousands of miles to where I wheel, wheel hard, and drive back and fourth to work.

If you like the '01, it's in good shape, buy it. Quit worrying and avoid ulcers. The dealer couldn't give me enough to trade mine in. Oh, and mines an '00.

I say Yay.

I don't have any history with it yet since I've only had it since October, but I love it so far. It had less than 87,000 miles when I bought it. It had a bad blower motor resistor, and the AC system is discharged (I'm thinking evaporator). The resistor issue is common to all of 'em and cost me about $20 to fix. The AC problem is also common 97 & up but I haven't got to it yet. The LP d-30 in the front isn't an issue unless you want to get serious about big lift and tires. Mine had the Up Country and tow packages and it has the 8.25 with a trak-loc. I just installed a BDS 4.5" lift and PORC SYE with an XJ front shaft.

dscn3306.jpg

Thanks for all the replies! Good to ask the people that own/drive and wheel them. Thought I had a trade for a 2001 lned up but that felll thru. I'll just try to sell my truck and buy a 99. Seems like everybody is happy w/their 99. BTW my JEEP is a 1977 J10 pickup so if anybody needs a review on that I can help ,,,lol:woohoo: Darnit I'm on my son's name!! Mine is Heepdad56 !!

Another data point for you, my 2000 has over 170K miles. I recently replaced the front hubs, other than that and routine maintenance items the engine/driveline has not been touched, period. Second gear grinds a little when cold (NV3550) otherwise there are no problems and I wouldn’t hesitate jumping in it right now and drive cross country at 70+. So don't rule out the 2000-2001.

I'll vote another yay. Love our 2001. Like McQue...it also leads a cush life on the rare times when it's out of the garage. Never even sees dirt roads. LP30 obviously isn't an issue on that one.

The only other thing I'd mention that will probably happen is emissions related. The small sections of rubber hose that connect the hard lines together coming from the evap canister to the engine bay will dry rot and cause a CEL. It's a bit of a pain to track down the leak but not too bad. That happened at about 50,000 on ours and we've been good since.

I love my '01. No problems at all @ 75000. I did change out the D30 for a high pinon but that is because I lifted it 5" and I got the new D30 for cheap.

Glen

get an '01. I like driving it vs. driving my 90 cherokee. The 01 that we have runs real smooth and drives smooth. Biggest thing we've had to replace on it was an a/c compressor, and blower motor. Get an automatic if you can, the automatics shift really smooth. Just keep all the matenance done on it, I wouldn't really worry about the head crack issue. I've almost got 100,000 miles on 01 and still no issues.

DaJudge said:
I love my '01. No problems at all @ 75000. I did change out the D30 for a high pinon but that is because I lifted it 5" and I got the new D30 for cheap.

Glen

This IS something I'm considering, but not so much for the HP vs LP issues as you might think. What I'm thinking is that if I can pick up a HP D-30 cheap, then I can gear it, lock it, maybe truss and stick good shafts it and just have it ready. Then when I can gear the back I can just pop it in there and be done. I'm just gonna go to 4.10's so if I get REALLY lucky I'll find one from a 4 cyl. Probably a bit of overkill for 31 / 32's, but it would be reliable!

Doug

Back