• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ Limited vices?

casm

NAXJA Forum User
OK, it looks as though I may have found a replacement for my sadly-deceased '01 Sport. It's a 2000 Limited, NP242, 6-cyl., around 77000 on the clock. Ideally I was looking for another 2001, but beggars can't be choosers.

From what I've found through searching, a common problem on 6-cylinder 2000s is the #3 injector misfire - per the TSB, it should be sleeved and the ECU updated with software to compensate.

My question is this: are there any other problems common to that year I should be looking for? I've been through the Alldata TSB and recall list for that year, but would like to know if there are any other issues that people have run into during ownership of their 2000s.

a relative has a 2000 limited with the 242 select trac, 50k mi. only gripe is he needs some rear axle bearing work done soon, never offroaded.

btw, if you plan on lifting your truck, 1999 was the last model year XJs had a high pinion front axle. just something to keep in mind.

I have a 2000 Sport. 4.0/AW4/231

I purchased with 32K miles in May 2002 and it now has 87K miles.

One recall, heat shielding on intake/exhaust manifold. Apparently leaves will accumulate on the manifold and possibly catch fire.

The front squeeks, had a bearing and front driveshaft center ball go bad, vibrate and squeek. Can't keep the front rotors from glazing and squeeking either, (teenage daughter and hills).

Muffler is rusting out, I think it's a little early in the life of the vehicle for this to happen.

Oil leaks by the fuel filter and the rear of the valve cover.

Left front window regulator just started making a noise at full up. The regulator need replacing. ($125 at the dealership)

Oil pressure sender went bad.

Now for 87K on a 5 year old vehicle this is not bad.

Tom

No major problems on my 2000 yet. The only thing I have noticed that is tempermental is the power windows will not work sometimes from the passenger doors, no it's not the window lock on. However, this problem has not occured lately so I have taken no steps to remedy this.

my #3 misfires, but we can't figure out why yet. the remedies have been taken, but somewhere in the code there is a glitch. timing is perfect for all cyclinders but once in awhile the #3 just wont fire. thats still a problem, but i think we'll figure it out.

the exhaust vibrates against the tranny... easy fix.

speaker wires (electrical in general) is suspect...but holding up.

rotors warped twice already...looking in to some higher quality replacements.

rear end sag after 80,000...time to lift.

considering its been in two accidents it has been pretty reliable, but kinda expensive to keep reliable...that may just be a jeep thing...lol.

biscuitboy87 said:
my #3 misfires, but we can't figure out why yet. the remedies have been taken, but somewhere in the code there is a glitch. timing is perfect for all cyclinders but once in awhile the #3 just wont fire. thats still a problem, but i think we'll figure it out.

Wasn't there a TSB or something like that for a misfire due to overheating? Solution offered by the dealership includes installation of a small heat shield.

freerider said:
1999 was the last model year XJs had a high pinion front axle. just something to keep in mind.

some of the 00 and 01 had high 30's but hard to find

well, just a word from one guy here.....but......
my 2000 has 217,000 miles on it, absolutely nothing wrong with it, just done regular maint. and replaced the ac compressor at 100,000 miles. Other than that the thing is solid and has been since the day i pulled it off the dealers lot!
But that is just one 2000 xj of many made so take it for what its worth

NP 242 is a pile non-sevicable crap IMHO. Just did major work on one. Prone to chains coming thought the case. But with the mileage you have no worries! Doing my best Homer Smpson: (When it barfs the chain, replace it with a 231..) ;) Go for it.

frankenstang57 said:
NP 242 is a pile non-sevicable crap IMHO. Just did major work on one. Prone to chains coming thought the case. But with the mileage you have no worries! Doing my best Homer Smpson: (When it barfs the chain, replace it with a 231..) ;) Go for it.

That's strange; in the two years since I started this thread, my 242 has yet to throw a chain through the case, and I have yet to see one in the junkyard exhibiting this symptom. Of the 242s you've worked on, what percentage have done this? I'm just wondering how long it's going to be until mine does it since they seem to be so weak in this area.

biscuitboy87 said:

i've got a 2000, the only trouble code i've ever got is the misfire in # 3, whats the deal with that.

casm said:
That's strange; in the two years since I started this thread, my 242 has yet to throw a chain through the case, and I have yet to see one in the junkyard exhibiting this symptom.

X2. Had mine just over two years and had not one single issue/problem/concern/etc out of my 242....been rock solid the whole time. And with all the 242's in XJ's, ZJ's and KJ's, I guess they did something right when they designed the tcase!

I have a 2000, with about 125k on it. I got it with 60k, and other than the power windows not working anymore, its just fine. I drive it very hard to, i've never had a problem with anything. Its pretty rock solid.

flintlock - your problem is indeed your window lock switch. they are cheaply made and are known to fail, if passenger windows arent working, just play with the button a few times and they might come back. eventually it might go on ya, an easy fix is to just bypass the switch alltogether.

As Casm stated, he started this thread in 2/05

Back