• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ for Sale

I've had a few people check it out, a few low-ball offers, a few people say they want to check it out, but haven't made it happen yet. So I guess that means I just have to go wheeling instead of going camping...

I like the sound of that Reed. I picked up a Red 99 XJ of a local guy but would really rather have had yours. Let me know next time you go out. Jim. (Hopper)

I was one that wanted to check it out... lol. I'm in apple valley to. nice ride, but I came across a deal that was more in my $ range.

Wow. I have to let Tony know his old rig is up for sale. He had mentioned getting into another XJ so his prestine JK rubicon wont take all the abuse. Looks like you have made some nice improvements since he sold it to you. GLWS.

Tell Tony it's more expensive than when he sold it, but more capable too. The rear locker made a big difference, along with the 4.56 gears. I had a Spartan in the front and then it was great. But the Spartan was always catching while driving on the road and I didn't think it would be very good for people who were test driving it.

Brad, what are you driving now? I thought I'd heard something about Landcruisers.

DBcherokee - I see lots of decent Cherokees around town. What's your new rig look like?

~R

So far I've had a few decent offers but the people haven't shown. 3 offers to trade for various trucks. 1 offer for a Subaru of some sort. 1 offer for a Razor. 1 text about hooking up. 1 offer to put it up for auction. 1 guy who was looking for a Go-fast desert rig who I told it wasn't really that good for that the way it's set up. Plenty of people with $5,000- $5,500 offers.

And 1 guy who seemed really interested, but was saying that his bank was going to give him a check for it. When I told him it was a cash sale I didn't hear from him again.

Isn't Craigslist fun?

Tell Tony it's more expensive than when he sold it, but more capable too. The rear locker made a big difference, along with the 4.56 gears. I had a Spartan in the front and then it was great. But the Spartan was always catching while driving on the road and I didn't think it would be very good for people who were test driving it.

Brad, what are you driving now? I thought I'd heard something about Landcruisers.

DBcherokee - I see lots of decent Cherokees around town. What's your new rig look like?

~R

yes there are... I'm always looking for the 500$ grandma mobile lol.

here's mine now. not too bad,
5y5yhype.jpg

~R

It looks like you put about 3-4k into it beyond what Tony did so I think your asking price is quite fair and will eventually sell. Be patient. In regards to my current rig; you are correct. It's a Land Cruiser (kinda). It's a 97 Lexus LX450. Right now it's sitting on an Old Man Emu 3.5" lift and 35's. Front and rear factory e-lockers and factory 4.10 gears and some rock sliders. I had to buy all that stuff used to be able to get it to the point it's at, but it is AWESOME to wheel. Smooth like a cadillac but can crawl like my old XJ. The 3rd row seating and tons of storage is also pretty nice. I'm currently in the process of building some front and rear tube bumpers. The rear should be done in the next few days. I owned another FJ80 before I went through 3 Jeeps, but am glad to be back in an 80. I loved my Jeeps and don't want to say anything bad about them, but the 80 is just a better fit for my family and I.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but Brad how is the Yota on gas and power? I have heard that they are pigs. I am in the market for a vehicle with 3rd row seating and was going to look at these rigs, but need to be able to tow my boat behind it.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but Brad how is the Yota on gas and power? I have heard that they are pigs. I am in the market for a vehicle with 3rd row seating and was going to look at these rigs, but need to be able to tow my boat behind it.

PM sent

Hey Brad, let the rest of us know. I'm looking for a tow rig for a trailer that will probably be 5,000 or a little more when loaded and I want a 3rd row seat. How's the Lexus do?

Hey Brad, let the rest of us know. I'm looking for a tow rig for a trailer that will probably be 5,000 or a little more when loaded and I want a 3rd row seat. How's the Lexus do?

Lets go wheelin together before you sell off the XJ. We can run some difficult trails and see who can get over the obstacles easier. I already owned a built XJ so I already know the answer but it will be quite fun watching you discover that answer. If your looking for a larger rig with a 3rd row then you will not be able to beat an 80. They don't take much of anything to run 35's and many already come with factory lockers. Slap on some 2-3" taller springs and shocks and your ready to go. The factory axles can easily handle 35's and the 4.10 gears isn't bad. The oem driveshafts and factory long arms front and rear can easily handle the slight angle change of a 2-3" lift as well. I was able to sell my factory bumpers, tires, running boards, and tow hitch for the amount it cost for a used lift and used 35's off craigslist. The only money I have had to put into so far was some sliders. I'm currently building some tube bumpers front and rear myself for about $250. If you want to run 35's on an XJ with front and rear lockers and axles that can handle those 35's your gonna be WAY more into the build cost then in an 80. The down side is that the aftermarket support is rather weak and the 12.5 mpg's kinda sucks. Beyond that I love the 80. Don't get me wrong I loved my XJ and still miss it, but it just wasn't the right fit for my growing family. We already have 2 boys and have been discussing adopting a 3rd. In regards to towing the 80/LX450 is great if it's a light trailer or light boat. The 4.5 liter motor has plenty of power to pull light stuff but once you start getting over 5k then the lack of a v8 is gonna show. Some 4.56 or 4.88 gears might fix that issue if you are on 35's. On stock size tires then a 5k trailer shouldn't be much of an issue at all.

Edit: I'm REALLY sorry. I just remembered this is your for sale thread and I'm mucking it all up. If you want me to delete it all just shoot me a PM and it will be gone asap. Sorry about my lack of common sense.

Last edited:
No, don't worry about it. I asked for some info and you gave it to me. That's how i like it. The 80 sounds really good. Unfortunately our trailer is probably too big for the 80 to tow it comfortably.

I'm hoping to see it this weekend, but if it doesn't I have the next week off for Spring Break. When's yours? Maybe we can meet in Big Bear and have some fun. Tell Tony to come along too...

No, don't worry about it. I asked for some info and you gave it to me. That's how i like it. The 80 sounds really good. Unfortunately our trailer is probably too big for the 80 to tow it comfortably.

I'm hoping to see it this weekend, but if it doesn't I have the next week off for Spring Break. When's yours? Maybe we can meet in Big Bear and have some fun. Tell Tony to come along too...

i'm on spring break right now. I was on this week and will be on next week. We should go next week when your off. I should have my rear bumper finished up by then.

The rig is still for sale, but I haven't had any real offers. Which I guess means I need to keep it. My wife mentioned that option today and although our savings account is in a bad way I guess I can deal with that. So, until someone ponies up the money to buy it, where are we wheeling?

PM sent. Hope I don't ruin to many off-road plans, but I am extremely interested and would like to discuss further. Your asking price is OK with me just a few questions. Thanks.

Randy

PM sent. Hope I don't ruin to many off-road plans, but I am extremely interested and would like to discuss further. Your asking price is OK with me just a few questions. Thanks.

Randy

You can't go wrong with this rig. The guy who owned it before Reed (who is a close friend of mine) really babbied and loved it. He was CRAZY anal about maintenance and keeping it looking nice. I got to wrench on it a few times and can vouch for the love and care put into it. It didn't see much dirt under his ownership but at least it looked sweet. Reed has made some really nice and needed upgrades for some more extreme wheeling to a well taken care of platform. Whoever gets this is gonna have a reliable Jeep for years to come.

Still for sale?

Back