• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ: First XJ, first build

Alright sorry I haven't had a chance to get on lately. I changed my starter and added some nice waterproof heat shrink tubing to properly cover the totally exposed braided wire on the thing (very stupid design as this was what corroded on it last time). Ill have some pictures up when I get home. Was planning on going tire and wheel shopping today. I'm looking to run 33"s as I said... Wondering what backspacing I should look for in the rim though? I would like a wider stance, but not too wide (the whole stupid "look how far my wheels stick out i must have an awesome rig" look...) So I was thinking 33x12.50 tires on 15x8 Soft 8's with 4.5" backspacing? No rubbing and no trimming would be optimal!

I understand that the Nuke Training Pipeline will consume an abundance of free-time for quite a while; plan for this, study hard and do well.

Best Wishes!

I can't wait. It's gonna be well worth it. Im looking to go gold (hopefully through USNA since there were so many applicants this year, even with 2 nominations I got shot down, gotta love crappy economies). My ultimate goal is to have a set of Gold Dolphins. =D

I can't wait. It's gonna be well worth it. Im looking to go gold (hopefully through USNA since there were so many applicants this year, even with 2 nominations I got shot down, gotta love crappy economies). My ultimate goal is to have a set of Gold Dolphins. =D

I loved you butter bars. Really dude, I have seen good division heads and total morons. Thing you should always remember is, the Chief in charge of your div KNOWS what he is doing. The last Ensign my div trained was a complete idiot. He thought he had to show his "leadership", but the only thing he did was hold up maintenance, cause headaches, and be a general nuisance. Don't be THAT guy.

The best Ensign my div ever trained was cool, laid back and let the Chief run things. We made that guy look like he crapped golden eggs. Of course he owned a Jeep and was a motor head.

Do you know which platform you are going to apply for? Virginia Class, Los Angeles Class (I or II), Seawolf, Trident, Trident Gun Boat, Aircraft carrier? There is also the sub NR1... Get attached to that if you want a big kicker on your service record.

Last edited:
Yeah, reminds me of those leadership classes I took in NJROTC... My Commander always stressed how the senior enlisted personnel were the ones with the years of experience! Not the fresh div officers!! Lol. I would love to get on a Virginia class, but the boomers are also very appealing! As long as I get sub duty I'll be happy!! My dad was on a boomer years ago! QM2 when he got out.

It's alright, not really hijacking since I love talking about it... I haven't had time to work much on the jeep anyway this weekend. Staying at my uncles place, hopefully I'll get that shock off and replace my alt. And ac compressor and new brakes sometime this week.

Alright! Have been able to go out and do a few minor things to the Jeep here and there after work, but have not had much time to post it all up on here. So, i will start with me needing to replace my alternator, which i did. Also i said i'd put up pictures of my starter with the heat shrink tubing added to it...

SDC13656.jpg

and

SDC13657.jpg

installed

SDC13662.jpg

Now the alternator i had a slight problem with the old one being frozen in place, but with a good socket extender and a hammer, it came out =). Here is a few pictures of the new one in...

SDC13663.jpg

SDC13665.jpg

I also, replaced the battery and got new leads for the connections.

SDC13664.jpg

Good news, my friend painted my stock flares for me, flat black is the best!

SDC13654.jpg

My lift kit came in!

SDC13669.jpg

SDC13670.jpg

as did my new 33x12.50's!!!! 5 of them on 15x8 soft 8s.

Here is how they match up to the old tires, lol.

SDC13667.jpg

SDC13668.jpg

Now the big news for the day. Remember that shock i had dangling in the rear? well since the bolts are being extremely stubborn, even with pb blaster, i decided i was going to win this battle.

SDC13658.jpg

the little dremel that could!

SDC13659.jpg

SDC13661.jpg

SDC13660.jpg

Now that the jeep is again mobile, i can start planning on getting that lift on there! I'm very happy i was able to cut that stupid thing off today, and am kinda surprised i didn't think of using the dremel to begin with, but its all good! :yelclap:

Now, i am going to take care aof a few things and take the jeep out for a ride cause its been sitting to long, so hopefully ill have more information on putting that lift in tomorrow.

You need to do something about those battery connections!

Hello all, sorry about the inactivity lately! Have been talking to my friend about using their shop to install the lift, SYE, and now re-gearing. Since they are both mechanics, and I am still a N.U.B. so to say... This build will also be a learning experience luckily! Small updates, today I ordered a set of Nitro 4.88 gears for the Dana 30 and the Chrysler 8.25. In addition I ordered a Powertrax No-Slip locker for the 8.25, seeing how my rig is a DD, has snow use here in NY, and is within my budget now. Once I can, will probably upgrade to 2 e-lockers, but that's part of the future plan. That is all for now, but I can't wait to start working on the Jeep again... Doing write ups will also help me remember the stuff they plan on teaching me, so it's gonna be a good time!

I'm in favor of ditching those wing nuts and putting on some stainless flanged head nuts. I have those exact terminals and the wing nuts have loosened up on me twice.

Its not the proper way to terminate wire,you will get alot of corrosion,voltage drop, and heat build-up!
SDC13664.jpg

RCP is correct. I'd use those terminals for a quick fix to get myself home, but I've fixed multiple friend's jeeps where those were the issue. Marine style terminals are like $5 at autozone and the crimp terminals for the heavy gauge wire are available there too, though you'll want a hydraulic crimper to crimp a large terminal like that properly.

and that's not the right way to do it, and they will work loose after a while.

damn, that's a pretty good price, might have to grab one myself. In fact it's better than the horrible freight crimper I got (which, to its defense, does have a lot of other size crimping dies, so it's good for things other than welding/battery cables.)

Kastein I didnt say it was the right way but in a pinch that's what I've done, now I've only used it on car stereo connections, so nothing important but I would think even using a flat hammer chisel to the center would work as well if you didn't have the proper tool for the job.

Now the big news for the day. Remember that shock i had dangling in the rear? well since the bolts are being extremely stubborn, even with pb blaster, i decided i was going to win this battle.

the little dremel that could!

SDC13661.jpg

Now that the jeep is again mobile, i can start planning on getting that lift on there! I'm very happy i was able to cut that stupid thing off today, and am kinda surprised i didn't think of using the dremel to begin with, but its all good! :yelclap:

Now, i am going to take care aof a few things and take the jeep out for a ride cause its been sitting to long, so hopefully ill have more information on putting that lift in tomorrow.

Most likely when you go to finish removing those bolts they will break... if they do break, dont worry, there is an easy solution. Get yourself an air hammer and just knock the welded nut out from the bottom. If you dont have a compressor a hammer and a punch works too.

Then go to the hardware store grab some grade 8 bolts, washers, and nuts. I then took welding wire (anything similar would work even string and a hanger) i fished it up thru the rear shock mount hole and out the triangular section of the unibody (towards the inside of the truck). then tie it/wrap it around the bolt and washer and pull it thru. Repeat that step 3 more times and youll be good to go. Put the shocks on, using an open ended wrench on top and a socket on the bottom. You can put some blue locktite on the bottom if you feel necessary. It only took me maybe 15 minutes to do the whole process.

Back