• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 die from tow point breaking - video - WARNING VERY GRAPHIC

jbmoose

NAXJA Forum User
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 2 die from tow strap breaking - video - somewhat graphic

Thats why i carry a blanket(lay over the strap). I have seen this a couple of times.If i see them pulling out a strap i leave the area so i don't get hit when it pops

It appears the tow point is at fault (not the strap).

If someone needs recovery and I question the strength of their recovery point I will not pull them out.

Its amazing how many people still think chains and tow straps with hook ends are acceptable forms of recovery.

i've seen a crappy welded d-ring pop off a bumper and put a hole in the helmet of a guy on a quad watching from the side, definitely dangerous stuff.

Its amazing how many people still think chains and tow straps with hook ends are acceptable forms of recovery.

I know hooks are a no no, but I thought chains simply fall to the ground when they snap. A chain cannot store energy like a strap, or am I "dead" wrong?

Snatch straps are not intended for a constant load.
They are meant to be used as a shock device. You rapidly load the strap and let off. The shock of the loading/unloading yanks the other vehicle out of a sticky bit. Loading the strap up and using it as a towing connection stores an enormously huge amount of energy in the strap. If a tow point should fail, whatever is attached to it becomes a projectile. Not sure if a blanket would even slow it down.
The direction of return is usually straight towards the solid anchor point, but the direction can not be truly determined. As with towing, you stand way clear of a strap in all directions.

The tow point failure was bad enough, but the take away of this is not tow points or snatch straps, but crowd control. You are in charge of your area when you hook up. Clear the area before executing any recovery effort. Every single vid I have seen that results in an injury involves a stupid crowd.

-Ron

I know hooks are a no no, but I thought chains simply fall to the ground when they snap. A chain cannot store energy like a strap, or am I "dead" wrong?

Chains go flying when they break. I've seen several destroyed tailgates and shattered back windows from chains breaking.

And people wonder why I go very far in the opposite direction when someone is being tugged ...

And people wonder why I go very far in the opposite direction when someone is being tugged ...
That makes 2 of us

I used 50 feet of logging chain trying to snatch some guy out of the mud. I handed him the bolt and washers and advised him to find a strong spot to hook up to. That chain popped loose and dented my hood (four inches deep) maybe a foot short of the windshield. I asked him if he used the washers I gave him, he reaches in his pocket and pulls some change and the washers out and says Oops I'm sorry. The head of the bolt pulled through a link.

I remember telling my son to stand way back, before I started the pull.

I always take my distance and usually stand behind a tree for this reason. If you don't respect the forces at work they will eventually get you.

I had what looked like a well mounted tow point rip off of the bumper of the CJ I was pulling out. It put a huge crater in my XJ's tailgate.

Scary stuff.

Back