• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 XJ for sale

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well...don't WANT to sell it but there are a lot of factors as to why I'm going to try.

1998 XJ sport
~160K miles.

4.0L
AW-4

The good:

new water pump (1 year old)
new power steering pump (2 months old)
new radiator (1year old)
new fan clutch (1 year old)
good factory cd player
optima yellow top battery

power windows and door locks.

homemade front and rear bumpers (1/4" steel) Front has a hitch on it
rusty's t-case skid
rusty's x-member with built in 1" drop (these are both stout pieces)
class 3 rear hitch with stock trailer wiring harness (have towed our popup and it handles great)

superwinch 9,000 lb winch

5" lift: rusty's 4.5" rear springs, lower control arms, and shocks. RE 4.5" front coils, 3/4" spacers

Front D-44 from waggy complete rebuild (used original spindles)...all bearings, seals, hubs, rotors, u-joints (shafts are stock). It has 4.88 gears, warn manual hubs, full spool. RE bracket kit welded on by FL-Krawler. Uses stock waggy steering (tierod and drag link) so it's a stronger better setup than stock late model jeeps.

Rear D-44 from waggy. complete rebuild, all seals, bearings, 4.88 gears, full spool. Has disc brakes.

15X8 white wagon wheels with 33X12.50 trxus MT's...fronts have about 85% rear has about 75% tread.

Runs very well...would trust it anywhere on or offroad.

The bad:

AC doesn't blow cold...works well...just not cold.

Leans to the passenger side. What it needs to fix: spacer on front passenger side (1.5-2"). New rear shocks...pass side is gone completely. I would also add a leaf into the passenger rear pack. With the one rear shock gone and the torque of 4 low it has caused the XJ to lean like this...my own fault. Also the rear shock(s) is too long. When I had the rear shock mounts welded to the axle they are higher clearance...so the shocks are too long (meant for stock location shock mounts)
It has a fairly busted up front passenger side fender and a-pillar. The windshield does need to be replaced....doesn't leak but you can see from the pics it is not in great shape.

Needs a new master cylinder. Brakes actually do work well but it does seems the mc is going out. Also needs shorter hard lines from rear t-block to the rear hoses. We had to grind on the rear calipers a little as well as the leaf spring plates (the top plates) to clearance the rear calipers. Nothing is wrong with the setup...it's just not pretty. It would be very easy to just get a new set of caliper brackets ($20) and move them a little lower on the axle.

Speedo doesn't work which makes check engine light stay on (has been checked MANY times and has no other codes). Cruise doesn't work either and I do think the issues are related.

Asking $5,000 obo. This is a good solid turnkey trail rig...has run Tellico. Only been in mud ONCE. As said above I would trust it anywhere on or offroad.

tellico0051li9.jpg

img0952bv9.jpg

img0950cm1.jpg

img0951fc0.jpg

img0953ub7.jpg

img0954ra6.jpg

img0956pb3.jpg

img0957wu5.jpg

img0958ua0.jpg

img0955fp1.jpg

img0959vc1.jpg

img0960tc5.jpg

img0962xp9.jpg

img0963ky4.jpg

It's on ebay now: item # 330134010882

Not looking to part it out just yet. I'm not desperate to sell it...but want to in order to prepare for another project and to pay some bills.

If I have no luck I may part it out later on.

Back