• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Pioneer (clean!) - $850 (Cedar Springs, MI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1x1_Speed_Craig

NAXJA Forum User
1426223_10202378067162931_109352195_n.jpg

I bought this clean 1988 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Pioneer from an acquaintance on the east side of the state who works at a Chrysler dealership, and drove this vehicle for the last several months as an interim daily driver until it lost clutch pressure (the hydraulic clutch has an internal slave cylinder, which is believed to be the issue). It was going to be for my younger daughter, but I'm having some buyer's remorse for not holding out for a later-model XJ (parts standardization with our other vehicles, and also air bags).

I have several more pics in my Craigslist ad HERE.

The Renix 4.0L 6-cylinder runs very strong, despite its 250K miles (rear main leaks as expected, though). It has a 5-speed manual (Peugeot). It has ZERO vibrations any any point, even at highway speeds (75 mph)...nice driver. Since the clutch issue, the Jeep kind of grinds into gear. It's currently in 1st gear, and can be driven in that gear. Exhaust is loud, as there is no muffler. I do have one that I removed from another Cherokee that I can throw in with the vehicle.

The Jeep has new front axle shaft U-joints, new brake rotors & pads up front, and a brand new fuel pump. It also has a new JVC CD player/stereo with an Aux port and remote.

This Cherokee is about as "rust-free" as you'll find in the Midwest. Rocker panels, floorboards, rain channels, inner door openings, etc. are very clean....quite rare, even for Cherokees 10+ years newer than this one. Even the chrome bumpers are clean. It does have a hand-brushed "hillbilly" paint job that looks much better in the photos than it does in-person. This would make a GREAT foundation for an off-road rig, or for a teenage driver's vehicle.

The interior is relatively clean. Non-working A/C, all wipers work, manual locks/windows. The sagging headliner has been temporarily fixed with some pimp push pins. :D

NOTE: Jeep does NOT include the wheels & tires; we are keeping those for my daughter's Jeep project. You can bring your own, or I am willing to include four (4) XJ donut spares that'll allow you to get it home.

Wow I wish you were closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back