• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Jeep Cherokee Help Please!!

purefacts

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an '88 w/94k. Driving one day and heard loud like metal snapping. The car started to run very rough. Went to shop on wrecker. The car will start on all 6 cyl, then go to 4 cyl losing #1 & #6. Changed crankangel sensor,swapped computers, new distributor and moved wires around. It has great compression and is in time. What's next, any thoughts. Shops 5 mechanics and two jeep mechanics have spent endless hours on this problem & finally gave up. HELP Private mesg me or email [email protected] thanks

Hi,

The loud snap could have been a crack in the head. I experienced this, but it was with a later model 4.0. I have heard the later HO heads are more prone to this.If this is your problem signs would be:

Coolant loss
Oil pressure loss intermittent. This occurs when your oil pump picks up a slug of water dumped through the crack in the head.
Discoloration of the oil-frothy milky look
Overfull situation regarding the oil when you know you didn't overfill
My engine occasionally misfired badly due to water pumping into the cylinders

Question: Have you experienced overheating problems?

flexplate?

Back