• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1976 J20 3/4 ton pickup in Ventura County

cyberbackpacker

NAXJA Forum User
1976 J20 (Pioneer trim).

I hate to sell it, but basically we are moving to Pennsylvania December 1st, so this has to go.

I bought this to restore, as it is a perfect rig for it especially with the perfectly running and desireable AMC401. I am asking $2300 or best offer out of this...

Here is a pretty descriptive run down on the rig. More pics tonight or tomorrow. Feel free to send pm for pics or questions.

It has the AMC 401 motor, eight foot bed, turbo 400 trans, quadratrac low tcase, A/C equipped, P/S, front Disc Brakes, dana 44 front and dana 60 rear with 3.73's, 9.5 x 16.5 Sears brand tires with lots of tread, straight body, small rust hole (dime size) in each door, manually switched dual fuel tanks (Trailblazer out of Boise, Idaho), new urethane motor mounts, resealed engine (rear main seal, valve covers, etc) no oil leaks, new timing chain set, rebuilt 4bbl carb, new fuel pump (All work done by local Offroad Shop), Glass is in good condition, dash guages are rebuilt and working, interior dome lamp works, clean bed with working straight tailgate with only one minor ding on top left corner. Also have new sending units for the fuel tanks.

I purchased it off of the owner of a local 4x4 offroad shop that does custom work. He purchased it from the original owner's who used it as a Ranch truck.

Odometer reads 067,xxx original miles!

It is on a non-op registration. Need to arrange transportation or obtain a temporary permit.

Car is straight and unmolested. Guy I bought it from started to sand the hood and front fender, then moved onto another project. So, the hood and portion of fender have rust that flashed the exposed metal. Aside from that...

A few other things:

Guy I bought it from took out the bench seat because it was just emaciated, and threw in some toyota bucket seats with custom brackets. They actually do not seem out of place. Also when I filled this up to get it started, the rubber hose between the filler and the gas tank is dry rotted and needs to be replaced-- you lose some gas when filling up. Not a lot, but some.

Car has been sitting for 7-8 months, but did start up with a little gas in the carb. A fresh tank of gas is highly recommended.

Doors have a few small rust holes. Strange because the rockers, wheel wells, and all other sheet metal is solid, as well as the frame.

I was thinking of throwing on another set of doors instead of trying to repair these. But for someone that can do metal work, the holes are smaller than quarter size.

I have tried to be as honest and forthright as possible. This is an amazing truck as is, or could be much more if someone wanted to make it so. If it wasn't cost prohibitive to tow it across country, I would not be selling.

I will be out of town with moving related bits after this weekend, so looking for a FAST SALE.

Please feel free to email with any other questions that you may have.

Thanks... I wasnt able to get them tonight, but will tomorrow.

Some more info... car has been sitting at a guys house in the mountains storing it for me on a piece of property off Mulholland Highway. It got down here via a tow truck. Went to drive it home from the shop and well, I would suggest towing it to its destination. One of the fuel filters I can see sediment or something in it... also the battery is about dead. Engine runs great at idle and you can give it gas in park and it roars. However trying to drive it with a weak battery and the old gas in the lines is not good.

I must say I put 15 gallons of new gas in it, and about the last 1/4 mile home it was running really strong... until the battery died.

However the quadratac was working quite well, and the low rang worked well in a straight line.

Look for pics tomorrow evening.

did you purchase this from Jon @ Conejo Off Road (now 4wheel parts)? Is it the shop truck (yellow/blue) or his dad's truck (white)?

I used to work for him, so I'm curious.

I got it from Brian at American Off-road who used to work at Conejo. It is a tan/sand colored truck that had the "pioneer" package wood decals on the side that are severely faded. This is an unmodified stock 47k original mile truck that was a ranch truck.

my parents would make me live in the damn thing if i brought it home

Back