• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

11 mpg - is this right?

I think i have a freak XJ. On my last tank i averaged 24.76 MPG (hand calculated). The tank before that was 23.59. Granted my jeep is totally stock, but this mileage is surprising the hell out of me

With the combo in my signature (looks to be the same as yours), I'm lucky if I eek out 13+mpg with the cruise control set at 65mph on flat ground. 18 to 19? Not a chance for me. Admittedly, I should probably try it without my roof rack sometime just to see exactly how much fuel mileage that is costing me.

Maybe I need to consider some new engine sensors along with my exhaust leak? Seeing a lot of people mentioning new sensors...

i find the cruise control hurts the mpg's slightly on the freeway since I got the new tires and gears.

it constantly wants to downshift when pulling hills if I am cruising at 70, whereas if I drop it back about 5mph I can pull just about any hill.

I have a small exhaust leak, but when I replaced my cracked manifold I definitely saw a small increase.

but if I am driving it hard - 75-80 or hard around town I can easily get down to 13 or 12

I have 30's on my rig. AW4 auto with 4:10 gearing. And get 18 city and around 24 highway.

But I have also added a hot wires, E3 plugs, a hotter coil. Accel 23# 3 spray injectors, 62mm throttle body, k&n air filter, with safari snorkel. New O2 sensor.

Before the engine add ons my milage was worse arounf 14 - 18. I have heard that changing the O2 sensor for a new one can help gain back some loss milage by getting a better signal to the ECU. Even though your old O2 sensor has not triggered a trouble code does not mean it is functioning correctly. My old one never triggered and fault codes, but after taking it out it was rattling internally while the new one was not.

Give it a try. Who knows?

There was a time I was working a job on which the commute was exactly 90 miles driveway to parking spot. A little more than 80 of those miles was on I-80, the rest a smaller, good two-lane. The straightest shot possible. Two round-trips per tank. Only four start-up cycles. Fill-up every other day, no evaporation. At or slightly under the 65MPH speed limit, traffic permitting, cruise as much as I could. In other words, the most ideal trip (if you don't mind commuting three hours a day!). I was getting just over 23 MPG, of 87 octane, no ethanol gas. That's the best I've ever seen in any of our XJs.

Remember, XJ's were rated by the EPA as 15/19 city/highway (I have the window sticker to my '96 Country). Most folks don't usually hit those numbers. Remember, just recently, they were downgraded, most vehicles by about 10%. That would put my '96 at 17MPG. I usually get a little over 20 with it, so I guess I'm doing OK!

O2 sensor is the biggest contributor to MPGs, and PPMs for pollution. CTS is second, it tells the engine when to start reading the O2 sensor. This stuff has been on cars for almost thirty years, and unfortunately some of the most misunderstood. I did the O2 on my '92, after the dealer told me not to worry about it. MPGs went from less than 15MPG to over 20. Did they really do me a favor saving me the $100? I don't think so!

All these aforementioned sensors have a limited lifespan, usually 60 to 90k miles. That $60 the O2 sensor may cost might easily be made up in a couple tanks of gas!

Last edited:
To add my $0.02,....

I had a bad O2 sensor that did not throw a code. My mileage dropped by 50% over the course of about 3 weeks. I replaced it with a new unit that was only marginally better. Replaced it again and my mileage returned.

All sensors being in good order here are a few other things that could affect mileage that no one have mentioned,...

Armour. How much of it do you have?
How high is your XJ?
What tire size? More specifically what tire rating? Tire weight changes based on their rating.
How much cargo/weight do you carry around?
What are the road conditions on which you drive? Could you get the XJ up to and maintain the most ecconomical speed?
Buy gas from a know good quality gas supplier. (Two weeks ago I took a trip in my DD which is 1993 Toyota pickup. One tank full got me just shy of 300 miles. I bought gas from a no name discount station just off the highway (I 95 between Jacksonville and Boca Raton FL) and got about 200 miles.

I bought my XJ with passenger rated 225 X 70 X 15 tires and got 22 to 24 MPG every day on the highway. Changed them to 30 X 9.5 X 15 light truck tires and have been hard pressed to see 19 MPG's since then.

Back