• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gobi hatch ladder for 84-96 xj's?

Well, the thing with the 84-96 latches are, they are fiberglass. I'm not sure they would hold the weight as well, and I don't think I would want to try.

They do the same thing with motorhomes, they are all fiberglass in the rear..Can you find a gobi dealer, or somone thats sales this ladder? They would know i think..I seen a tire step that would also work.. JC whit

I couldn't resist the smart ass reply XCM set up, but It's not really a good idea. There isn't enough material above the backglass to mount it with any sort of strength. The hinges would probably break off at the roof if you put any serious weight on it.You'd really need to mount it to the roof for it to be really usable. & of course then you couldn't open the hatch. If you are really set on this idea maybe a boat ladder could be adapted.

You could put one on the side going over one the rear side windows and attach it to the roof and the bottom of the rear quarter (assuming you haven't cut and folded it). And as long as you can get one that doesn't stick out past the mirror.
But then again that might affect your ability to maneuver through tight trails.

Putting one on the side is an option worth considering. You can get them pretty small profile. If you have a solid roof rack you can put most of the weight on that, and just use backing plates behind the passenger quarterpanel as stabilizing points.

Can't do drivers side because that's where the gas fill pipe

If you've got a roof rack I'd consider getting a ladder made that hinges down or slides down from it. Basically stored up there and uses the rack and the rear bumper for support, not the hatch.

Some one had done that on here a long time ago. He attached it to the roof rack on a hindge. When closed it rested on the rear bumper and alowed him to climb without a problem and he was a big guy. As I recall the bumper took most of the weight.

here is a good one but on a steel hatch

ladder1.jpg

ladder2.jpg

ladder3.jpg

ladder4.jpg

ladder5.jpg

ladder6.jpg

Nice. I thought about this once before. The pics makes more cents than just an idea.

The weight should be placed on the rear bumper, and just rubber knobs resting on the gate, with a quick release on the bumper, and swivel on the cage for moving up and down.

My next project.

mac

Back