• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock no more

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so as most of you know I went to NWFest with a stock XJ and had a blast, but didn't get to do any real trails with it due to the stock status. Well I finally got the exasperating 3" lift and 31's BFG Mud terrains on and thought I'd throw some pictures out there! I also have a few other goodies from various NAXJA members to put on later this week.

l_3531bbb8a9b432e49c1c3f1ba2502209.jpg

Stock when I first got her, flexing by my work (Greggs) at the 4wheel ramp. I'll get some pics of the new flex when I go to work tomorrow. And I'll take more when I get my quick disconnects on too, since I'm currious what difference that would make.

2641214782_36d42dcf1c.jpg

Tucked with rub. Does anyone want to tell me how to trim my wheel wells (front and rear)? Also what about the rub I have on my front sway bar?

2641214280_3d07a81fd4.jpg

Repping the NAXJA sticker, dont you think I should become an "honorary" NAXJA member? :wave1:

2640385231_7dccf4631b.jpg

Dropping like it's hott. :guitar:

2641213142_9237b2db7d.jpg

As she sits today.

So yeah, what do you guys think? After I get my paycheck Tuesday I think I'm going to order some AJ rock sliders, and try and find some junkyard armor...as I need more.

~Scott

Scott,
Looks great!
Do a search on the tech forums about trimming, there will pages to read.

Get the gas skid and tranny skid's on (these are the most important).
2nd priority is tow points front and rear (either hooks, hitches or bumpers).
3rd is rock sliders.

Personally I would READ as much as you possibly can on the tech forums about each of these subjects. Look around here for used stuff as much as possible, it will make your money go much further!!

Looks good.
Michael

2xtreme said:
Scott,
Looks great!
Do a search on the tech forums about trimming, there will pages to read.

Get the gas skid and tranny skid's on (these are the most important).
2nd priority is tow points front and rear (either hooks, hitches or bumpers).
3rd is rock sliders.

Personally I would READ as much as you possibly can on the tech forums about each of these subjects. Look around here for used stuff as much as possible, it will make your money go much further!!

Looks good.
Michael

Thanks, I'll do that!

I'm getting the gas tank skid on Monday or Tuesday, and I'm going to try and see what I can do about that Transfer case skid you gave me, but it doesnt look like it will fit with my aftermarket exhaust and 242 transfer case (need to make measurements). But monday for sure I'm going to try and put the new tow hooks on that I got, I just need to figure out if I need to buy any bolts, and if I do, what kind I need. And I figure I'll have the skids and tow points on by the time I get rock sliders.

P.S. You can cash the check Wednesday if you want, I get paid tuesday, and by 12PM Wednesday I'll have the money in my account. Thanks again for holding it for a bit, and let me know if it doesnt go threw or something.

I loved my AJ's rock sliders, get the superrails, your doors will thank you. Or at least mine thank me because apparently I drive my jeep like I stole it.

I didnt really bang my gas tank or trans until I got skids and knew I could hit them, same with just about everything. If you wheel carefully you can get away without the skids for a little while, personally I feel that sliders are more important then skids as I hit my rockers alot more.

The tow points are very important and can usually be had for pretty cheep.

As Michael has said search before you buy, I didnt use to and I have made some mistakes. NAXJA is a great resource, use it to its full extent.

-Alex

Ba-Riedo said:
I loved my AJ's rock sliders, get the superrails, your doors will thank you. Or at least mine thank me because apparently I drive my jeep like I stole it.

I didnt really bang my gas tank or trans until I got skids and knew I could hit them, same with just about everything. If you wheel carefully you can get away without the skids for a little while, personally I feel that sliders are more important then skids as I hit my rockers alot more.

The tow points are very important and can usually be had for pretty cheep.

As Michael has said search before you buy, I didnt use to and I have made some mistakes. NAXJA is a great resource, use it to its full extent.

-Alex

Way ahead of you on that. :)

I want the super rails to save my doors, and I made some pretty sketch stuff today with phat sticks pointing straight up and all...I just made some varrious line choices and kept hoping out and looking if I wasn't sure I'd make it. I'm just trying to get an idea of my limitations right now...my goal is to never get stuck when I'm messing around without a winch near by.

It looks great Scott! I'm curious to know what problems if any that you ran into during the install.

We also need a pic of your rig on flat ground for posterity.

John

P.S.
I expect you to show up for the Noobfest.

Muddy Beast said:
And I'll take more when I get my quick disconnects on too, since I'm currious what difference that would make.

Disconnects and removing the rear swaybar (if you haven't already) will open up a whole new world of flex for you, which is VERY important when you're running open diffs.

Looks good!

It sounds like your on the right track with armoring it up first. You'll have a solid platform to learn on, and I bet you'll be surprised at its capabilities.

See you on the trail!

X2 on reading everything this site has to offer. I have learned so much by just reading random shit on the tech fourms...

I see that you live in Everett, go to the Arlington Pull a part off of the Smokey Point exit. They had tons of new XJs that had armor on them, before you go though, make a list of anything that you can think of and see if they have any of it. Its a great rescource.

As Alex said, get yourself the rock sliders as soon as possible. Around here, you will be using them a lot.

P.S. If you end up going to Pull a Part, do yourself a favor and pick up a tie rod off of a V8 Grand Cherokee, its like 3 times sronger than your stock one and its a direct bolt on. Can be had for like $5. (that is what I got mine for)

Keil

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments everyone!

And rooneypower, I can't go in the pull apart, my dad does it, so yeah making a list is probably good. I think my dad went to the Arlington one not to long ago...which is where he got my new dash (clean and uncracked) and a new seat bottom (bottom of mine was cracked on one side, so I had the "gangsta lean" going on). But thanks for the tips!

EDIT: Oh, and my dad wont let me take the rear swaybars off...cause this is my DD, is he in the "wrong" or is he right I would pretty much die on the freeway?

And John, the problems I ran into were my own fault...more or less me figuring out how to put things on easily, the hard way. And of course, my Dynomax exhaust now hits my leaf spring, but I had it all welded up so I can't move it.

Last edited:
Scott, does your tailpipe hit the shackle bolt? Mine did, stick a pry-bar in the end of the tailpipe and give it a couple of gentle heaves away from the bolt. It'll settle with about 1/2" clearance, good to go.

The XJ looks great, keep plugging away at it. You're on the right track, tow points and armor next.

p.s. your rear swaybar is all but worthless once you have lift leaf springs installed. The factory leafs are very soft, necessitating a sawy bar. Aftermarket lift springs are much firmer, you don't need the rear sway-bar now. Take it off, you won't even notice a difference driving it.

fubar XJ said:
p.s. your rear swaybar is all but worthless once you have lift leaf springs installed. The factory leafs are very soft, necessitating a sawy bar. Aftermarket lift springs are much firmer, you don't need the rear sway-bar now. Take it off, you won't even notice a difference driving it.

X2. If I am not mistaken the up-country versions never came from the factory with a rear swaybar either? Once you have stiffer rear leaves the swaybar is useless.

If you search home made front disconnects you can make your own very inexpensively and they work great. If your dad says you still have to keep the rear sway bar you might be able to make an extension and disco there also?

Michael

X3 on removing the rear sway bar. My XJ has less body roll with new rear springs and no rear sway bar than it did with stock springs and swaybar installed. Granted it would have even less body roll with the rear sway bar, but why?? It is already very stable without the rear sway, and it flexes off road better without it.

Good deal Scott!

I might be able to help you out on the front recovery points. I have a front receiver hitch that I plan on replacing with a winch bumper the second or third weekend of August. If you want to show up at a scheduled time and pull it then it is yours.

The advantage of the front hitch is that it make an extremely stout front recovery point while also stiffenning the front end. The down side is that you loose some approach clearance.

Well as far as the front discos go, I already got some from RC, I just need to cut them an inch. And as for the rear swaybar, I think I'll remove it and just not tell my dad....haha.

And I have front recovery points Matt, I just need to find some bolts that will work. I got some front tow hooks from the Canadian/Wisconson fella at NWFest, but he didn't have any bolts.

EDIT: More pics...

2644728402_ba0e7d1428.jpg

2643899647_d3f4d0afb9.jpg

2644726190_25ca0f5302.jpg

Not much more flex than stock right now...I blame the front stock sway bar (and rear) which will be removed tomorrow.

2644725172_8231157a4b.jpg

It went up one number on the ramp from the stock suspension...(I tried going right at it and the flex was almost the same, so I backed up during lunch for more flex)

Last edited:
The bolt you need for your front hooks... Is it the furthest one back on the brackets? Or which bolts are you talking about, I still have my brackets and can take measurements of the bolts if that would help.

-Alex

Back