• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detours Tailbone update

xjnewbi

NAXJA Forum User
I am one of several NAXJA members eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Tailbone setup. Mark emailed me today and said that he is slammed right now following the move of his shop but he expects it to slow down over the next month or so. He will then continue development of the Tailbone tire carrier which he projects should be ready for order by early to mid summer.

holds breath

so mid summer is like June? :)

I'm just passing along some info, I have no affiliation with Detours so I don't have any insight as to exact dates. However, I would think June would be early summer and late July would be mid summer.

nootay said:
what does it look like?

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=925073&highlight=detours+tailbone

ShowLettertailbone.jpg

Ok I spoke with Mark today. I ordered a rough cut slim line bumper with tire carrier. Anyway we were on the phone quite a while so I figured I wasn't keeping him from stuff.

I asked him about the "Tailbone". He said that the Jeep pictured in the post above has been using the tailbone system for about a year now. On the trail quite a bit. Everything is working well, however he said due to his move he has been busy with other stuff, but still working on the tailbone system in his free time, mostly thinking about it. He is thinking of doing a small mod to it to dampen the possibility of lateral movement. He says the slimline is very good in this area and he wants to make the tailbone better.

Ok I asked him if I should pass this along because I thought it might cause undo panic, but he just laughed.

He's moving! Another house and another shop. The good news is instead of being 800 miles away, it's only 8 miles away. He says the tailbone won't be off the ground until he's in the new shop.

Just in case you have a pending order with him, not to worry, he doesn't think the move will do anything to the time line for your goodies(s).

What a great guy and a wealth of knowledge. He was willing to answer any question I had and wasn't in a hurry to get off the phone. I wish I could find a doctor like that!!!

So the "Tailbone" is coming, well, soon.

But I want to buy one now..... :(

Thanks for the update.

xj-boonie said:
But I want to buy one now..... :(

Thanks for the update.

I got rear ended about a month ago. It was a slight bump, strangly enough by a same year Grand Cherokee. First time being hit, pretty good jolt, just messed up some of the paint on the back bumper.

Even though I really like the idea "AND PRICE" of the tailbone, I'm going for beefy.

LOL XJ Mod Threat Level HIGH....

i'd build a bumper just to mount that to.
but by the actions of everyone its going to be a while

DSC_9420.jpg

That's my XJ with the Tailbone. It's been holding up very well with a good amount of trail time. Had a few pulls on the d-rings and again, no problems.

I had to break it down and reassemble it when I installed the DPG gas skid. Once I got the order of operations straight, the Tailbone, Hidden hitch and gas skid all tied in together nicely.

Really a brilliant design by Detour.

JNickel101 said:
LOL XJ Mod Threat Level HIGH....

You are the first one to make mention of my attempt at humor in my signature. :clap:

Back