• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rugged ridge steering??

Just got off the phone with Lance at tellico.
At first he tried to talk me out of it saying that it is made in china(I said hopefully they didn't use lead based paint:looser: ) and sell me a more expensive kit,sales commission????
I asked him what size tube was used and he tild me that omixada doesn't give him info like that on most of it's products.....

He did tell me that the tre's are stock grand cherokee.....

Not sure on the tube size, but if you look at this www.omix-ada.com/instructions/18050.82.pdf it looks pretty good. By the way, if/when you order it, double check to make sure you're also getting the steering damper bracket and hardware. It is supposed to be included, but almost all descriptions I read on different sites don't mention it or show it.

What makes you think he was lying about it being made in China out of reject Daewoo car parts? Not everybody is a crooked car salesman type working on comission.

I thought Daewoo was a Korean car company...:spin1:

I've seen the same setup at JCWhitney for about $245 or something. IMHO anything is better than the stock XJ tie rod.

If the TRE are stock Grand Cherokee (ZJ or WJ?) they're fairly easy to replace. ZJ Steering linkage (V8, at least) is beefier than an XJ's anyway.

outlander said:
I never said he was lying...it probably is made in china.It was the fact that he immediately started hyping up a more expensive setup.

To be fair, though, he may have been keen on the more expensive item simply because it's better (read: stronger, more reliable) in the long run. Personally, I'll take doing something right the first time and not having to worry about it down the road over replacing it later on because it couldn't deliver on its promises. Admittedly, I wasn't party to the call with him, so take that for what it's worth.

Either way, I'd be interested to hear more about beefed-up tie rod / drag link combos like this. I know Currie has one out there, but it's $400 and that's just more than I want to put into it.

I've been doing a lot of research about Omix-Ada recently (due to needing new ball joints--Trailquest $35.99 per side, BTW), and I couldn't really find anything negative written about their quality. I even found a post in which 5-90 mentioned that he thinks their stuff is at or better than O.E.M. quality. That was pretty much good enough for me, considering everything the guy seems to know.

well i think we had the longest steering thread before the crash on this product - anyways mine is holding up great and the lock tite on the jam nuts is essential - other than that my tre that runs into the drop pitman arm is sitting at a not so great angle but it is ok (right at 7 inches of lift) - anyways thanks for all the help before we lost some of the info

IntrepidXJ said:
i got the material to build my spacers......hopefully i can get those made and get this kit installed this week or weekend.

i'll keep you guys updated

Hate to sound stupid Randy, but spacers for what? I just got the front brake kit from Vanco and since I have to take the steering off to put the brakes on I was considering upgrading the steering at the same time.

IntrepidXJ said:
to prevent the tie rod from rotation causing a dead spot in the steering.

What spacers (part #, info.)? I will get those as well.

Thanks for humoring me!

Back