• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd

skylo

NAXJA Forum User
How much work and what kind of work are we talking. I have a 1998 Xj sport w/3' lift and 31x10.5 on black cragars. It is almost payed off. Could get a lot of the parts for dirt cheap. Also a quick ?. After the lift when I brake theres a clunk that fells like it is the driver side floor board. Anyone know anything would be help. THANKS

I did the conversion not to long ago. It wasn't bad, took me a weekend to have it completely done. Do a search for my username and read some of the posts i have that 4wd related and it should help you out. Goodluck if you do decide to do it.

That clunk you are getting is your control arm. To fix it, you've got to play with how tight the bolt is on the frame. I had to adjust mine a lot for the thumping to stop, and it turned out that it was just a little bit too tight. Loosen it up a little and see how that works.

xjj33p3r said:
That clunk you are getting is your control arm. To fix it, you've got to play with how tight the bolt is on the frame. I had to adjust mine a lot for the thumping to stop, and it turned out that it was just a little bit too tight. Loosen it up a little and see how that works.
could be the bar pins too, i personaly would live with a clunk, if getting rid of it means that i have to have a not torqued LCA

oh yeah

to give my advice on the thread:

i dont know where "troy" is, but i picked up an XJ in Palo Alto for 2000 running great, and for all the hassle and parts it might be worth it to look for annother rig, keep the 2wd as a DD and run the 4x4 till its done, then drive the 2wc till cash to fix teh 4x4 comes...

needed parts for a convertion - Front axle (complete with breaks), Front d-shaft, Transmission with mated T-case of choice (231 or 242), Rear Driveshaft, all the linkage for all that stuff. Im not sure if the Tranny x-member is in the same location on the 2wd as teh 4x4, but you might want to look into that. MOST importiant part - 4x4 emblem for D pillar. (i love looking at that)

Back