• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

homebrew tail light boxes.

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody

Well I had been looking for a while for a set of tail light boxes that I liked. Rustys are boring, and I didn't really like the way they looked. JCRs were pretty nice, but the price tag was a little much for what you were really getting, so I figured I would make my own. The metal was about 25 bucks, and lights were around 50 if I remember correctly. I have more time than I would like in them, but thats how most of these things go.

Thoughts
http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/outdoors4me1/media/image1_zps98e9e154.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0
http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/outdoors4me1/media/image_zpsc1e4c49b.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/outdoors4me1/media/photo12_zps6a86a48f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

edit: In the last pic the pass. side tail light doesn't follow the top body line very well. I milled out all the tabs so I could adjust them up/down/left/right for final fitment. this pic was taken after hours of wiring headache, and I was just wanting to be done with the project.

image1_zps98e9e154.jpeg

image_zpsc1e4c49b.jpeg

photo12_zps6a86a48f.jpg

Pretty nice.

What gauge metal did you use and where did you source the lights from? I built corner armor for my rear awile back and sort of left it open to build some of these one day. Are those just LED trailer lights? Looks good man!

Making them would be something I considered as long as I could atleast make 8 or soOtherwise the time spent on them just wouldn't be worth it
They are made of 1/8 inch steel. Very solid.

And before the moderators get upset about this I will gladly buy a vendor star before trying to sell anything.

I would also be willing to so any kind of light set up whether you like what I did or any other combination

Also the lights were sourced from a local trailer outpost

I am a little ignorant when it comes to running this sort of light. Are those lights street legal, as in do they work as brake/tail/turn? I see the reverse one. I'd be interested if the price were right, although I could just stop being lazy and make my own too..lol Thanks again man!

Because you already have, and could measure. Would 2 of those oval lights fit side by side decently?

Also, do you have an idea on approx cost? Maybe say bare/no lights and w/lights?

Last edited:
I built a set for my 96, and I used 2 4" round lights per side. The top light was clear with RED leds for S/T/T functions, and the lower light had 60 white leds for reverse. They were BRIGHT :cool:

I'm thinking of a few different options as far as making them. I believe 2 would fit side my side but certainly not 3 diagonally.Jcr sells theirs for 130. I think I could sell mine for around 100 as blanks (you drill the holes as your liking) or I could do 120 and I will custom install any type of lights in any orientation you wanted so long as they would fit plus the cost of said lights

While this may seem like a steep price I probably have about 2 to 3 hours into each box on. Top of material prices

For anybody interested PM me and ill start keeping a tally of people who are interestedThis doesn't mean you need to pay right now or do anything other than show interest

If or when I get around 8 to 10 people interested ill let the members know and we can go from there

I know this thread is a year old, but how did you wire those guys to a renix harness? I know the renix has 5 wires going in , these have only 3? I just ordered some but do not want to get into a cluster F.

Just got one in the mail. They have 6 wires going in, so it actually should be pretty straight forward.

Just got one in the mail. They have 6 wires going in, so it actually should be pretty straight forward.
Are you going to be using a tow harness to run these, or just wire them with resistors?

Back