• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Mods please move if necessary..."

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
I'm seeing variations on this phrase rather more than I'd like of late.

All we ask is that you take a moment to see what's going on in a board before you post your question, just to see if it would fit. If it does, then put it there. If it doesn't, it obviously goes somewhere else - please find out.

I'm not saying that moderating is a difficult job - unless we've got some people getting into a right p***ing match over something, it's usually fairly simple. But, it gets tedious moving posts because some small preparatory research wasn't done.

For those of you who would like a "cheat sheet," here's the breakdown:

- OEM Tech: If you're having trouble with something that hasn't been changed from factory specs, this is where you ask.
- Mod Tech: This is for questions about modifications, generally to the powertrain and mild chassis or suspension mods (lift kits, rocker reinforcement, bumper improvement/reinforcement, transmission swaps, and the like.)
- JeepSpeed Prerunner: Just what it sounds like. We have some JeepSpeed competitors here, this is the section where they discuss their mods, we try to help them win their races, and some of their mods can get pretty heavy. However, since they're dealing with a rulebook, we give them a specific section.
- Street & Performance: Discuss road handling improvements, lighting mods, stereo mods, and that sort of thing in here. This is pretty much a "catch-all," from what I can see, for what doesn't fit anywhere else (but is still XJ/MJ-related.)
- Tow Rigs, Trailers, and Other Tech: Non-Jeep-related tech. Trying to figure out what's wrong with your PowerStroke fits here. Trying to figure out what's wrong with your Honda DD fits here. If it's not an XJ or an MJ, the question goes here. If it's a trailer (camper, toy hauler, utility box, whatever,) it goes here.
- Advanced Fabrication & Engineering: Read the description here. Posters in this board have people looking at their rigs trying to figure out what it left the factory as. Want to cut out your back seat and shorten the rig by a foot? That's here. Want to stretch your rig and add another back seat? This is the place to ask. Trying to shorten an axle housing on your own? Go here. This is for people who can tell you what welding rod or wire you're using by smell, within ten seconds of you striking your arc.

Please, please, PLEASE take a moment to figure out just where your post will go, instead of leaving it to us. Please! It will help everyone out that way (bear in mind also that most of us will mentally "shift gears" from one forum to another, so your putting it on the wrong board might get you disjointed answers...)

As a side note - while I haven't see it much around here lately (took a while to get sorted!) please don't cross-post the same question. Meaning, you're frustrated, you're tired, and you've got to get this thing working so you can get to work. Fine - I dig that (our boys are not quite a year apart. I've had several week-ends where I had four vehicles that wanted repair - theirs and ours - so I really do understand!) But cross-posting - putting the same question in a bunch of different fori on the same board - will actually be of less help to you, not more.

Why? Becausethe train of thought is guaranteed to not be there, you're going to get disjointed answers, and the one logical connexion that will be needed to solve your headache is probably not going to happen. I've seen it before. I've even been asked why I'd go and dig up all of the cross-posts, and then merged them into one thread on the correct board.

It's not just about making your moderator's life easier - it's also about making your life easier - moreso than ours! Bear in mind that a moderator on an established board is usually someone:
- Who has an established reputation for being fair and decent
- Who has a good store of technical knowledge about the basic subject on the board
- Who exhibits clear, logical thinking
- Who really wants to help (we're not getting paid for doing this. It's all volunteer work!)
- Who can usually help you.

Help us help you, and we'll all be happier!

Signed,

A Moderator

Mods, please move this to the complaint department :D

Back