• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a Manual Xj Front driveshaft work for rear with SYE?

brianglawson

NAXJA Forum User
As the title states, i Have a 98 Jeep and just ordered an AA 231 SYE. The local Junkers have a front driveshaft from a manual jeep. Would this work for a rear driveshaft? Quick reply means i can get it today!!! haha

thanks
-Brian

Btw my jeep is a 4.0 automatic with a 8.25 rear

the front driveshaft in question is from a manual 4.0

short anwser probably not, the manual is at least a inch shorter, measure is the easiest way to figure it out. I used to remember the measurements off the top of head but its been a while.

would i be better to hold off for a front driveshaft out of an Automatic 4.0 cherokee?

i have 4.5 inches of lift in the year now, about 5.25 in front, will probably level the year soon if that matters as well

i was under the impression that the front driveshafts from manual cherokees were longer, am i wrong?

i have 4.5 inches of lift in the year now, about 5.25 in front, will probably level the year soon if that matters as well

i was under the impression that the front driveshafts from manual cherokees were longer, am i wrong?

yes because the auto tranny is alot bigger it sits a bit further back.

It will not work. I helped install an Iron Rock Offroad sye kit with a front shaft and it did not work. The shaft will fit BUT with only about 1/8" of play left in the slip joint. The first time you get any rear axle droop you will probably rip your sye out of the transfer case. The front shaft from a 4.0/aw4/np231 will work.n Tha manual shaft in about 1 1/2" shorter. This link has all relative shaft lengths, even some zj shafts may fit the bill for ya. :)

Also if you have a d35 you may have to use a zj shaft. The d35 pinion is shorter that the 8.25 and d44.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF

Last edited:
Btw my jeep is a 4.0 automatic with a 8.25 rear

the front driveshaft in question is from a manual 4.0

It will not work. I helped install an Iron Rock Offroad sye kit with a front shaft and it did not work. The shaft will fit BUT with only about 1/8" of play left in the slip joint. The first time you get any rear axle droop you will probably rip your sye out of the transfer case. The front shaft from a 4.0/aw4/np231 will work.n Tha manual shaft in about 1 1/2" shorter. This link has all relative shaft lengths, even some zj shafts may fit the bill for ya. :)

Also if you have a d35 you may have to use a zj shaft. The d35 pinion is shorter that the 8.25 and d44.

Answer to your question

would i be better to hold off for a front driveshaft out of an Automatic 4.0 cherokee?
Yes. Or check for a V8 ZJ front shaft like Johnnie said.

Shorter, by 1.41" IIRC. Check the catalog soopergoober posted under the Jeep section.

You won't rip the SYE out, but you will pop the splined slip joint apart and your driveshaft will do a bit of swinging around and the splines probably won't be in good enough condition to put back into the socket again afterwards.

You won't rip the SYE out, but you will pop the splined slip joint apart and your driveshaft will do a bit of swinging around and the splines probably won't be in good enough condition to put back into the socket again afterwards.

:roflmao:Way to kill the dramatic effect I was going for. :roflmao:

Oh, a driveshaft on the loose is plenty dramatic :roflmao:

Yes. It was only available in the South American market though - I know someone on here has one, I forget who though. Search for "dana 44 south america" and you will find.

Oh, a driveshaft on the loose is plenty dramatic :roflmao:

a front drive shaft got loose on my buddy doing 75 on the high way....it was a stick in a cup :D then it was a stick almost through his floor!

Yes. It was only available in the South American market though - I know someone on here has one, I forget who though. Search for "dana 44 south america" and you will find.
Thanks for the help. It was a definite good read though impractical, especially for my modest build.
:greensmok

Back