• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Oxygen Sensors

Ian Christiansen

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know which is bank 1 and which is bank 2 on a 2001 XJ exhaust manifold? Also which is cylinder #1? Closest to the radiator or the fire wall? One of the four O2 sensors is bad and I can't figure out which it is.

Bank 1 is BEFORE the cat. Cy1 1 is in front (closest to rad). What code did it throw?

I don't remember the exact code. I had Advance pull the code a few weeks ago and I'm finally getting around to fixing it. I'm gonna go back and have code pulled again. It was bank 2 though. So it should be one of the two sensors after the two pre-cats?

2001O2Sensors.jpg

I went to Advance and had the codes pulled. They are P0303, cylinder #3 mis-fire and P0432, catalytic converter. It has 143,000 miles on it. I have only owned for the last 6,000 miles. I haven't changed the plugs yet and don't know how old they are, could that be the problem?

Could easily be the problem - pull the cylinder 3 plug (third from the front) and take a look.

I changed the plugs and had the codes cleared. I made it about 70 miles before the light came back on. The misfire code is gone, but the bank 2 cat code is still present. It runs perfect, but the light bothers me. Could the O2 sensor after that cat be sending a faulty code? The dealer quoted $1,253 for the cat assembly with a $200 core charge.

you gotta be kidding me, that price is insane. Seems the cheapest OEM I can find it is $911 though. I found a unit that is for non-CA emissions that will bolt up but may require a custom downtube on rockauto for $290:
EASTERN CATALYTIC CONVERTERS Part # 20376
MoreInfo.gif
{Part is for non-California emissions and cannot be shipped to CA}
FRONT UNIT; DIRECT FIT- FRONT

EDIT: nm, it should bolt to the original tube at the back. Just checked my parts catalog and the assembly has a flange in the middle where the eastern cat #20376 bolts in.

Last edited:
About the only O2 related codes where it's ok to replace the sensor with no further testing are the 'slow response' codes. These mean that the O2 is generating the expected voltage but it's slow to make crosscounts. Basically crosscounts are what drives the closed loop fuel control scenario. The 'crossing point' is about .45V. So as the voltage is up over .45V, the computer sees it as rich and takes away some injector pulsewidth. Then the O2 should quickly see lean and report under .45V, computer adds pulsewidth, voltage rises again. This goes on all day long, and when the O2 gets lazy there is more time between crosscounts and voila, slow response code.

O2 catalyst monitoring function: The catalyst basically ends up being somewhat of an oxygen storage tank when it's lit off. The signal voltage to the pcm remains fairly steady. When the catalyst becomes chemically dead, or broken apart, the downstream O2 readings mirror the upstream. Rich/lean/rich/lean. The computer recognizes this and throws a cat efficiency code.
Or it's supposed to anyway. As with all things OBD2 it depends on how sensitive the pcm is. I know my 97's catalyst is inactive and the downstream o2 is in poor condition, reading near 1 volt constantly, but I have no codes present.

The other codes- high voltage, low voltage, heater circuit etc could very well be from a bad O2, but they could also be from a wiring fault or driveability concern. It's best to do a couple quick tests depending on the code to verify trouble at the O2 or elsewhere.

Back