• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another round of dana30 carnage!!

Timmy2XJS

NAXJA Forum User
!!!1
so i killed the HP dana 30 in my heep again. damn ring gear just doesnt like to stay in on piece!

Photo0061.jpg

Photo0062.jpg

Photo0063.jpg

Photo0064.jpg

and heres what i found int the bottom of the pumkin...

Photo0065.jpg

now keep in mind its a dana 30 with 4.10s cromo shafts and 35x12.50 maxxis big horns. oh well time to figure out an new tactic. i was thinking about going full width but thats alot of $$$$ but my dad suggested an intresting idea. get a 30 that hasnt been abused like mine, and truss it up and build it. the thoery is that mine has been beat on so much that there has got to be somthing that is flexing out and causing the gears to eat them selves. with a "new" axle might be a cheap fix.

any ideas?

Wow. I'm runnin 35's and I have beat on mine pretty hard, broke an alloy shaft not joint, but never damaged the R&P. What brand gears are they? Thehardstruggler has been through a front R&P in his too. (Actually I think Tyler did it) :gee:

I don't know about trussing a 30. I know it will help with the strength of the axle but I'm not sure it will add anything to the R&P. Someone with more brain power on this hopefully will chime in.

I like the front 44 idea though.:D

first what were you doing when it went boom.

your 5 speed right? a lower axle ratio will help you keep from having to dump it, crawlin is easier on stuff.

third are those the original gears when you bought it? a 30 shouldnt strip 4.10s it may have been a setup issue.

heres what i would do if i wasnt going fullwidth
1. gear it down to 4.56, youve got all the stuff already in the axle to do it just new gearsets.
2. Send your new gearset off to get cryo'ed, tims doing this with his next set its too cheep not to do it, apparently people running cryoed gears are having good luck
3. if you beating it hard enough to strip 4.10's a truss might help.... just a gusseted tube from the pumpkin that ties into the pass upper mount, it will brace the axle as well as the flimsy stock upper mount.

but thats just what i would do ;)

Wow. I'm runnin 35's and I have beat on mine pretty hard, broke an alloy shaft not joint, but never damaged the R&P. What brand gears are they? Thehardstruggler has been through a front R&P in his too. (Actually I think Tyler did it) :gee:

I don't know about trussing a 30. I know it will help with the strength of the axle but I'm not sure it will add anything to the R&P. Someone with more brain power on this hopefully will chime in.

I like the front 44 idea though.:D

well this is the second ring gear if chewed up. maybe i need to find a person who knows JEEPS and have them set the gears up(and i need to learn how in the process) the shows that have done em were not off road shops.

these were Yukon. the ones before em were superior.

the trussing would help with ANY flex in the axle (how i understand it) and being that this is the second time iv done this, i think that there is somthin in the axle what is flexing enough for the R&P to be moving under load and messing up how they mesh. im a pretty sharp person but i am LOST when it comes to seting up gears so :(

the 44 idea is by far the best thing that has been suggested to me, so i like it too :cheers:

well this is the second ring gear if chewed up. maybe i need to find a person who knows JEEPS and have them set the gears up(and i need to learn how in the process) the shows that have done em were not off road shops.

these were Yukon. the ones before em were superior.

the trussing would help with ANY flex in the axle (how i understand it) and being that this is the second time iv done this, i think that there is somthin in the axle what is flexing enough for the R&P to be moving under load and messing up how they mesh. im a pretty sharp person but i am LOST when it comes to seting up gears so :(

the 44 idea is by far the best thing that has been suggested to me, so i like it too :cheers:

i replied your pm by the way

those are both good gear brands, what were you doing in each case of breakage?

im out on muddy stuff in this case 4 low 1st feathering the gas between 1500-2500. on soft terrain.

and i was thinking 4.56 or 4.88s (the 4.88s would be brand new and free)

im out on muddy stuff in this case 4 low 1st feathering the gas between 1500-2500. on soft terrain.

and i was thinking 4.56 or 4.88s (the 4.88s would be brand new and free)

free 4.88's.... not a bad deal youll be very happy with that on th street too

free 4.88's.... not a bad deal youll be very happy with that on th street too

i thought so too and being that the gears came up today, i was going to ask opinions lol

so i could find a cheap 30, regear it 4.88 truss it toss in my cromos and re gear the rear 44 and call it a day.

or save up and do a waggy 44 as you mentioned in the PM.

or do both and build up a 44 and just replace the 30 when its finished.

good thing my wife loves the jeep or shed make me sell it.

4.88's in a 30 is not the best IMHO.
I would go 4.56 as the lowest in a D30.
The 4.88's would be ok in a 44 but like Doug, go with the 5.13's. Talk about crawling and not having to dump the clutch...

geeze! i busted a 4.56 d30r&p but that was lp. and i run stock shafts i just know the limits of my right foot. (not saying you dont) i just dont have that deep of a pocket to be replacing/upgradeing parts constintly.

mine arent so deep my friend, it took me 4 months to save up for new rubber lol this will set me back a little while but ill have the heep back up and rocking in no time

I have to ask were the gears set up right? MOst of the breakage looks like it is to the outside of the gear. What did the contact pattern look like when you set them up. I personally run 4.10's on 33's, and I was running 4.10's on 35's in the past. Never had a problem with ring gear failure.

i dont know if they were set up right, being that i dont know how. i had a shop do em and i think they screwed up. i dont know for sure.

Setting up gears is something I would like to learn how to do. I understand it can be time consuming but for my own stuff, not a problem. I'm like you, I had someone else set mine up but I haven't had any issues so far with them. It's just something I wouldn't mind knowing how to do.

By no means am I an expert when it comes to gears, but just from the looks of the caranage it looks like they were not set up right. IT looks like the teeth broke on the outer edge.. might also just be the pics too.

oh yes they are on the outer edge

ok so yall are all beyond awsome. all the pms iv got and support is fricking cool.

and here it all falls down to money and time.

i dig my 4.10s but 4.56 seems to be a better way.
i like my 44 out back and would not mind a super 30(new axle trussed and such)in the front.
this would be the faster option i think.

but an offer for a 9in and a 44 has come up. detroits and 4.88s. but parts like brakes and such are not included.

thoughts suggestions comments ?

Back