• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The dreaded death wobble...

navyblue123

NAXJA Forum User
So I just got a ton of work done to try and solve this issue and fix it. Where it has gotten better, but it still happens. I’ve replaced the following with brand new parts:

New trac bar JKS adjustable
New steering with cavfab heim joint crossover steering
New OEM pitman arm
New PSC steering big bore gear box
New moog ball joints upper and lower
New spicer u joints
Alignment
Rotate and balance
I have 33” Goodyear wrangler MTRs and 4.5” of lift.
What are the other possible culprits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you control arm mounts upper and lower ? The most common to break are axle side lower and frame side pockets upper ... The other two mounts can break but those are the two that crack more often. I had a zj with 33s re super flex and I got death wobble after a wheel swap I swapped back and it went away I did an oil change a week later and washed the jeep off just b4 and while under the ZJ I found both lower mounts were cracked badly at the axle and both uppers at the frame picket the driver side upper was basically cracked off completely I could wobble it with two fingers. These mounts themselves fatigue and even if the welds don't crack allow wobble they are pure crap and when you go offroad with extra flex if you do have bond the mounts easily get broken . Not saying this is your issue but control arm mounts seem to be something no one looks at

So I just got a ton of work done to try and solve this issue and fix it. Where it has gotten better, but it still happens.
New trac bar JKS adjustable
New steering with cavfab heim joint crossover steering
New OEM pitman arm
New PSC steering big bore gear box
New moog ball joints upper and lower
New spicer u joints

Alignment
Rotate and balance
I have 33” Goodyear wrangler MTRs and 4.5” of lift.
What are the other possible culprits?

Caster? Should be 5-7ish*

Can you tell me the simple version of how to check that?

The alignment shop should have given you a printout of the alignment measurements, both before and after alignment.

New track bar came with a non TRE frame side mount (bushing or heim)?

And a new TB mount as well? The TB mount bolts are known to come loose- like hella quick- and have been the culprit for death wobble for me before.

Like others said, check all control arm bushings.. If one is worn out, that vibe can quickly escalate to DW. While looking at your bushings it wouldn't hurt to check the engine mounts. Ya its not suspension related but I swear in my ZJ the motor mounts (completely destroyed no less) caused DW , and went away entirely when I replaced em. with all you've already done id add those to the list. A new steering damper will bandaid it if you cant find any worn bushings or loose bolts anywhere... Doesnt fix the issue but usually cures the dreaded DW

Back