• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine rebuild question

BrianC

NAXJA Forum User
What is the difference between a 232 and a 242 engine besides the obvious 10ci? I have found a couple of rebuild kits for the AMC 232 engine but none for the 242. Is the extra 10ci in the head? It would be really nice if I could buy it as a kit instead of having to piece it together.

Mixed metaphor, Mate.

No, the difference is not in the head. The 232 (3.8L) is an older AMC engine that was never used in the XJ. Your problem is that you're using the cubic inch equivalent for the XJ engine, but Jeep and the parts books all refer to it as a 4.0 liter. Look up your parts for the 4.0L and I'm sure you'll find what you need.

I knew it couldn't be that easy. :tears: I have seen some parts as listed for the 232-242-258ci motors. So much for the easy route. Thanks for the help Eagle.

The 258 was used in the Wranglers with carburetors -- up until 1991 IIRC. The 258 is also sometimes referred to as the 4.2L

The 232 was dropped from production sometime in the late 70s I believe. But all three share the same basic block and many internals.

Back