NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:00
NAXJA Forum User

Water Pump Replacement

It looks like I need to replace my water pump. It started making this chirping sound like a loose belt but the sound goes away when the engine heats up. Its not the belt because I replaced it about 3k ago. I checked the pully on the pump today and it has some play in it like the bearings going out on her. I will be picking one up today when I get out of work.

I have read on the forums about waterpumps that turn in the opposite direction, or reverse, depending on engine, accessories, and belt routing so I have a question, but first this is my configuration.

95XJ Sport 4WD, 4.0 HO, Automatic, AC, PS with one serpentine belt. When facing the front of the engine the waterpump pully rotates counter- clockwise.

Do I need a standard waterpump or a reverse waterpump?

I tried to see if I could see an "R" cast into the waterpump but its pritty tight quarters in there.

If there were an "R" cast into the pump where is it located on the pump?

Thank You

Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:07
Who Knows, Ask Who

Re: Water Pump Replacement

I believe it should be an R, but can't really remember, but a reputable auto parts store will guide you in the right direction. Make sure you get a new one, not rebuilt, from a reputable parts store like Napa or such. I put 2 Pep Boy's in within 4 months. Took it back & got a Napa & it's been solid for the last 8 years. I would also say get a standard flow vs a high flow. There are 2 thoughts on this. If the coolant moves too quickly, it has less heat transfer time both in the water jackets and radiator. Others think if it flows faster, it will cool faster. I'm a believer in the first theory. The R will be on the inside blades.

Rob $.02

Last edited by FELIX; July 3rd, 2007 at 09:26.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:48
NAXJA Forum User

I may be wrong on this so maybe someone else can confirm. If your w/p pulley is grooved (running on the inside of the belt), it would be standard rotation. If it is smooth (running outside of the belt) it would be reverse. Just match up the impellers and make sure the vanes sre facing the same way...
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:16
NAXJA Member # 683

You want this one:

I never really paid attention to, and forgot to put it in my cooling writeup, but I believe the 4.0L is a reverse rotation impeller.

Jim www.yuccaman.com
Old July 3rd, 2007, 14:21
NAXJA Forum User

I wouldn't replace the pump untill either it started leaking through the weep hole or if the engine began overheating. I replaced mine last weekend after 107000 Km's and apart from it weeping, the vanes were still perfect. Assuming the pump is fine and you have a good level of antifreeze in the water which does help to lubricate the bearing somewhat, the chirping you hear could come from a number of other sources (idlers, tensioners, power steering pump, aircon etc.).
Old July 3rd, 2007, 14:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FELIX
I believe it should be an R, but can't really remember, but a reputable auto parts store will guide you in the right direction. Make sure you get a new one, not rebuilt, from a reputable parts store like Napa or such. I put 2 Pep Boy's in within 4 months. Took it back & got a Napa & it's been solid for the last 8 years. I would also say get a standard flow vs a high flow. There are 2 thoughts on this. If the coolant moves too quickly, it has less heat transfer time both in the water jackets and radiator. Others think if it flows faster, it will cool faster. I'm a believer in the first theory. The R will be on the inside blades.

Rob $.02
I am starting to think this is my issue. I am currently running a FlowKooler High Flow. I have replaced everything on the system and al still getting hot.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 16:19
Who Knows, Ask Who

You could always try Water Wetter, this stuff actually works. It should lower your temps about 15deg.

Rob