• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring Creek and Saxon Mountain - 9/18/16

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
So what a day...

Sorry no pictures at this time.

So Nick (thejeepgod) and I met up with a friend of ours and some of his friend Alex's people and hit up Spring Creek.

Start time was 10AM...planned start time at least.

Nick and I were pretty well ready to go at 10:05, with his Jeep and my buggy just off the trail head.

A trackbar bushing or something or other had to be replaced, so our friend and Alex (who he was riding with) said they'd be there around 10:30. Long story short, we didn't start the trail until ~11:15AM...yay.

Trail was going pretty good, overall a WEE bit slow for my taste, with every quarter mile being stopped to take pictures :laugh:

I became a trail plug for about 30 minutes...yep...overheated but not.

After my Carnage run, I forgot to burp the air out of the system, so a massive bubble pushed some coolant out of my overflow. Once it cooled enough to add some coolant to the front fill area, and I turned around to face downhill, it burped right out and I didn't hit anything above 210° the rest of the day.

I walked through everything, Nick pretty well did too.

An XJ in our group broke a front driveshaft, so I got to turn around and winch him up 3-4 times since he wasn't locked either.

By the time we made it to the top...it was 4:30. So much for bopping up it in a few hours and being able to be home in time to watch the Broncos game.

So Nick and I broke off from the rest of the group to try and get down while there was still light, since Nick was going to drop me off at my truck and trailer so I could go pick up the buggy.

So we decided to come down Saxon...fast.

1.) That's a really nice trail
2.) That's a really nice trail...that is NOT so fun to be trying to beat the clock on various parts
3.) That's a really nice trail...this is NOT so full width friendly :laugh:

There were a couple of sections/obstacles that had me clenching a little bit in the buggy getting around them...right next to the edge.

We got down Saxon in 45 minutes to an hour, and dropped my buggy off in Georgetown. Picked it up and I got home around 9pm.

Cool trails, but next time I'll go with a group I know, and one I know will keep a good pace. We had planned on being home around 4pm...which quickly got nixed.

Fun...but long...day.

DOH! You took the switchbacks.

:laugh:

Never run it before, is there a quicker way down from the top where Spring Creek and all those meet?
Aw geeeeez! If you had attended the last Adopt-a-Road run, you would have known the wide/easy/fast way down. :soapbox:

:laugh:

The buggy isn't exactly one that I have planned to take on runs like that.
I hear ya there! If I built the most awesome buggy, only to have it "overheat" on a trail rated "3," I'd never live it down. :D

Once you get the the top and keep left to start heading down, it used to take me 20- 30 minutes to be at the bottom.

I could leave my parents house at 7pm and be home at 12 if I stopped to eat.

There is a faster way down those switchbacks. But it's "a little bumpy" on the way down.

Once you get the the top and keep left to start heading down, it used to take me 20- 30 minutes to be at the bottom.

I could leave my parents house at 7pm and be home at 12 if I stopped to eat.

Where?

On this map from Trail Damage:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/spring_creek/maps/map_area.gif

It shows Spring Creek (Red) Meeting up with the Orange.

The Orange one turns into Saxon Mountain Trail, which drops into Georgetown.

From that (the blue), I don't see any other ways down that side? I looked on Google Maps on Satellite view and didn't see anything.

The Purple (Cascade Creek) and Burgandy (Ute Creek) don't end next to I-70.

The Orange (Spring Gulch) and Green ( Trail Creek) end WAY East on I-70.

My humor may be a little too subtle. The "a little bumpy" should have been the giveaway.

The "faster way down" involves just going straight down the hill without using the switchbacks. i.e. rolling down the hill and ending up as a pile of junk at the bottom; or, "a little bumpy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwnwbG9YLE

Back