• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front drive shafts

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
Are the front drive shafts the same regardless of xfer case? I have a np242 in my DD and my parts vehicle has a np231. If they interchange I'll keep it as a spare. If not I'll sell it.
thanks

langer1 said:
Ever hear of a tape measure?
Yes as a matter of fact I have. But since I work 14 hour days (teach and coach) I have to use every second wisely and thought that MAYBE someone would have tried this already and could say "yes" or "no" and save me working out in the dark with the aforementioned tape measure and a flashlight. Thanks for the help.

asatxj said:
Yes as a matter of fact I have. But since I work 14 hour days (teach and coach) I have to use every second wisely and thought that MAYBE someone would have tried this already and could say "yes" or "no" and save me working out in the dark with the aforementioned tape measure and a flashlight. Thanks for the help.
Ask the Autoshop teacher to have someone look it up.
I think the NP 242 is a little shorter.

Do you have an auto or manual tranny in your XJ? Are the drive shafts from the same type of set-up ( auto/ manual)? If they are from different tranny set-ups, then, no, they will not interchange. If they are both from an auto set-up, they should have a difference of about 1 1/2" in length. The manual driveshafts are almost 4" inches different in length from the auto d/s.

At last an intelligent answer! Ren both are Auto trans Both front ends were the same. only difference is the xcase.

The front D/S will fit with no trouble, the REAR D/S is where you will find the biggest differences in length. Auto to auto, manual to manual, the front D/S are the same regardless of 231/242 X-case. The rear shafts will vary because of the length of the rear X-case section. I should have said that the first time around. Sorry about that.
Ren

Back