NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old October 21st, 2009, 18:36
NAXJA Forum User

Fuel Rail Failure after check valve

I have a 2001 Cherokee 4.0. The fuel pump check valve became ineffective and the thing took 2-3 tries to start every time. I basically wore a starter out before I took action. I put in an in-line check valve just like I had done previously with my 89 and it worked like a charm. Starts at the touch of the key --- for one day---. Today I was driving and smoke started pouring from the engine bay. Seems the fuel damper on the fuel rail sprang a leak and discharged like a shower head onto the intake. Luckily no fire.

I don't see how, but it must be related. Anyone else installed a check valve in their fuel line?

Possible theory - the pressure regulator is on the fuel pump, have I isolated it from the regulator and thus caused an overpressure condition on the fuel rail? Seems like when the pump is pumping the check valve would be open, right? So this shouldn't happen- right?

Other theory, the damper is just bad and I need to replace it and try again.

Anybody have a 2001 or 2000 that they added a check valve to?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:00
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: Fuel Rail Failure after check valve

Yup. Took it off after the plastic fuel line section kept separating from the metal section of the line and the fuel dampener on the fuel rail kept popping open.

I figure that the fuel in the fuel rail expands from heat soak and has enough pressure to overwhelm the dampener and pop it loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:27
Twisted Up

Is this on 2000 and 2001 only? Been thinking about adding an inline check valve to my 99 to help with the starting, but wondering now if I'd have this same problem. Is this a 97+ issue?
-'17 Ruby Red F150 Lariat. Tow rig and occasional DD
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:05
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks Tim,

I'm taking the check valve out.

UNCC, I think the way you can tell is that if you have a fuel return line and a pressure regulator on the engine - I think its near the front of the engine with an inlet, outlet and a vacuum connection- then you are safe with the check valve.

On the other hand if you do not have a return line, then don't do this.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:38
Twisted Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJTripp View Post
Thanks Tim,

I'm taking the check valve out.

UNCC, I think the way you can tell is that if you have a fuel return line and a pressure regulator on the engine - I think its near the front of the engine with an inlet, outlet and a vacuum connection- then you are safe with the check valve.

On the other hand if you do not have a return line, then don't do this.
Ok. Actually just messed with the check valve on a 89 last week and noticed that it's not in the same spot in mine. I think i'll hold off on doing this to mine until more research can be done.
-'17 Ruby Red F150 Lariat. Tow rig and occasional DD
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:37
NAXJA Member

I read on another forum about this type of failure after adding a check valve. I have no idea on the year or location, just that he had the same type of failure.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:56
NAXJA Forum User

What check valve did you use?
Old October 23rd, 2009, 14:43
NAXJA Forum User

I doubt the type is important, but it was the bmw valve that I succesfully used on my 1989. I think that when pressure rises at the rail, then the check valve shuts. My pressure regulator is on the fuel pump on this 2001 model and now the damper that is on the fuel rail handles the situation. It just got too much pressure.

As a side note. I dissasembled the damper and the o -ring looks good. I took out the check valve and reassembled everything and the damper still leaks at the seal. No one seems to carry the seal. I'm going hunting for a used rail from a friend down the road who has a business of rebuilding XJ's.

I hate this thing.

Thanks for the input. Anybody know where to buy a new damper or damper seal for a 2001?
Old October 23rd, 2009, 15:34
Freakish Hand Strength

Quote:
Anybody know where to buy a new damper or damper seal for a 2001?
Been there, tried that. Even though there is a part number on the dampener itself, there are no service parts available for the 97-01 fuel rail. You purchase a whole new fuel rail or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Old October 23rd, 2009, 16:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
I have a 2001 Cherokee 4.0. The fuel pump check valve became ineffective and the thing took 2-3 tries to start every time. I basically wore a starter out before I took action. I put in an in-line check valve just like I had done previously with my 89 and it worked like a charm. Starts at the touch of the key --- for one day---. Today I was driving and smoke started pouring from the engine bay. Seems the fuel damper on the fuel rail sprang a leak and discharged like a shower head onto the intake. Luckily no fire.

I don't see how, but it must be related. Anyone else installed a check valve in their fuel line?

Possible theory - the pressure regulator is on the fuel pump, have I isolated it from the regulator and thus caused an overpressure condition on the fuel rail? Seems like when the pump is pumping the check valve would be open, right? So this shouldn't happen- right?

Other theory, the damper is just bad and I need to replace it and try again.

Anybody have a 2001 or 2000 that they added a check valve to?
i did the bmw check valve on my 99 when my xj had the same symtoms. well 2 days later i blew the fuel diaphram, just like you. when i stuck a fuel pressure guage on the rail, the fuel pressure climbed to 110 with the xj turned off. this mod does not work on 97+ xj's do to the redesigned fuel system! i had to get a new fuel rail from junk yard (25$) and a new fuel pump assembly. now i start on the first try! mike
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:50
NAXJA Forum User

here is the lates casualty for the 97 and up bmw check valves. be carefully people this mistake can cook your xj to the rims!!!! mike

Link:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059481
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:34
NAXJA Forum User

Why don't you guys just turn the key to on, wait a few seconds, then start it? If I get in my Jeep and start cranking it will take days to start. If I wait 3 seconds it starts immediatly.
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:36
NAXJA Forum User

Or put your check valve back by the pump to give the fuel more volume to expand before blowing a line off.
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:33
NAXJA Forum User

Doesnt work. I had my 99 check valve installed all the way by the tank and it still blue off up front. And The turn the key and wait doesnt work either. You have to turn key wait . Turn key and wait . if your lucky it will start if not u gotta do it again. You have to prime the whole line then the injectors. When you let the car sit over nite all the gas goes back into the tank basically. On my 99 just replacing pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubullett View Post
Or put your check valve back by the pump to give the fuel more volume to expand before blowing a line off.
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:33
NAXJA Forum User

I put the check valve (a BMW part) in my '99 just off the fuel tank. Didn't fix the slow starting issue and I'm back to square one. It's worse in the summer.