NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 25th, 2012, 11:16
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Radiator Fan Override Switch (The Easy Way)

ok, I'll try to get one with a diode in it. I'd rather not mess anything up.
As for the constant hot, Oh well...
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:53
NAXJA Forum User

Cool Re: Radiator Fan Override Switch (The Easy Way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr1717 View Post

FyrFytr! Awesome thread and everyone else who contributed thx! My '91 is apparently simple to wire - I suppose I'll just drop the relay coil ground off a switch.

I have to say though, your wiring is top notch, though I'm tempted to ship you a soldering iron and some heat shrink to get rid of that crimp on splice!

Found this older Fan troubleshooting page that had some helpful info also
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/..._Diagnosis.htm
Old August 25th, 2012, 17:42
NAXJA Forum User

x e rider. I know this is crazy, but I was re-wiring a scout 800 and a friend that has way more experience than me said never solder in the engine bay use crimp connectors. I did some searching and there are a few post that say crimp not solder. I always like to ask which do you think is better?

I had 3 solder irons at the time and i had no crimp connectors, now i have two of those too.

Nate
Old August 25th, 2012, 18:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gird123 View Post
x e rider. I know this is crazy, but I was re-wiring a scout 800 and a friend that has way more experience than me said never solder in the engine bay use crimp connectors. I did some searching and there are a few post that say crimp not solder. I always like to ask which do you think is better?

I had 3 solder irons at the time and i had no crimp connectors, now i have two of those too.

Nate
Well if you consider for a moment the anatomy of the crimp tap; it's a blade that slices across the tapping wire and wire "on the run". The tapped wire and the tap in wire only have a slim blade width of contact. Both wires can have a few added strands nicked or scarred by the tap. Sure it may last a Long time, but when they get wet they do corrode pretty fast.

If you cut, restrip, slip on heat shrink, dip into flux and solder, all three wires are rejoined with 100% or more of the full gauge of wire, retaining full current carrying capacity. I would not mind using taps inside the cab for low current control wiring. Also, you can use heat-shrink with glue inside for a submersible connection. Just my two coppers on the subject.

Fyrfytr did such an amazing job everywhere else I just assumed he would have soldered and shrunk that connection - was just a tease really, not taking anything away from his install. I wonder if he found a place to use the Zombie switch yet.

Last edited by X E Ryder; August 25th, 2012 at 18:05. Reason: clarity
Old August 25th, 2012, 19:26
NAXJA Forum User

I need a Zombie switch.
Old August 25th, 2012, 20:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X E Ryder View Post
I have to say though, your wiring is top notch, though I'm tempted to ship you a soldering iron and some heat shrink to get rid of that crimp on splice!
You may notice there are two soldered and heat shrunk connections floating in the background of that picture...

Honestly though, those T-taps are not my favorite. I used it for two reasons:

One, because I was attempting to figure out which wire was the correct one and I didn't want to start haphazardly cutting into my wiring harness. (You may notice some "bite" marks and electrical tape on a couple other wires.)

Two, my soldering skills aren't the greatest. Especially in such a tight spot like that with the rest of the bundle running next to it. Knowing my luck, I probably would have dropped some hot solder on the bundle and melted through a bunch of insulation.

If it makes you feel any better, I went back and covered the bite marks on the incorrect wires with liquid electrical tape. I then replaced the section of wiring loom I cut out to expose the bundle, and securely taped it all back in place. If my override switch stops working, at least I know where to go looking!

Wiring project in process... T-tap shoved back into the bundle where it came from.

All loomed up and ready to rock!

So far as I can recall, everything else in the engine compartment was crimped, soldered, and then heat shrunk.
Old August 25th, 2012, 20:29
NAXJA Forum User

Oh, and no Zombie switch for me, that was somebody else. I have a Lightning switch!

Old August 26th, 2012, 09:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr1717 View Post
Oh, and no Zombie switch for me, that was somebody else. I have a Lightning switch!

Yea just hassling you bro. Hey when you solder, coat both wires with a little paste flux, then coat the soldering iron with some solder, now just touch the soldering iron to the wires, and it will instantly transfer the solder to your wires and no where else. Pow! Try it and your solder-confidence will jump a notch.

Hmm, Lightning switch? Remind me not to drive in front of you - I don't want to be blasted by your Tesla coil hehe
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:13
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

I won't solder any connections near a source of vibration - chassis wiring and interior sure, but anything that's past the motor / trans mounts gets a sealant lined heatshrink crimp terminal done with a ratchet or hydro crimper.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old August 31st, 2012, 00:51
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X E Ryder View Post
Yea just hassling you bro. Hey when you solder, coat both wires with a little paste flux, then coat the soldering iron with some solder, now just touch the soldering iron to the wires, and it will instantly transfer the solder to your wires and no where else. Pow! Try it and your solder-confidence will jump a notch.
I'll have to try the paste some time. I'm always relying on the cored wire for my flux and it seems that more often than not... by the time I have enough flux on the wire, I have too much solder on the iron.
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:50
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

If you use flux, make sure it's electronics flux, not plumbing/general acid flux - the latter will corrode your wiring to pieces in literally months.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old September 1st, 2012, 08:51
NAXJA Forum User

For cored wire make sure you use rosin core, not acid core.
Old September 9th, 2012, 03:28
NAXJA Forum User

As a slight variation on this fan switch idea,

I want to turn the fan ON for about ?5 minutes after I turn off the key. This will blow air thru the engine bay and help the heat soak after turning off the ignition.

Any ideas how to do this?
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:54
NAXJA Forum User

Wire up a timer. Hope you have a good battery though.

http://www.wolstentech.com/products/...elay/tdr-l.php

Your headlight with the sentry function are the same concept. But I'm pretty sure those are ony 30 or 60 seconds. This one can do up to 30 minutes.

Last edited by DanMan2k06; September 9th, 2012 at 08:04.
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:00
NAXJA Forum User

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1028190

Several threads on the ELK-960 timer as well.