• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gone Fishing!

BSD

NAXJA Forum User
1 tank of gas to drive to S.E. Oklahoma $35.00
5-22-2006-07.jpg

Rapala two fish catching lure (look close) $3.99

5-22-2006-09.jpg

4lb. test SPiderwire Monofiliment to catch a large Ouchita strain Smallmouth $9.99

5-22-2006-06.jpg

Enjoying the great outdoors with no one around but you and your boy...priceless!

5-22-2006-11.jpg

I thought I would share some pictures from our fishing trip last weekend. I like to fish rivers and streams, especially in S.E. Oklahoma. I was very tickled to catch that size of a smallmouth. For those that are not aware, the area has a unique strain of smallmouth called the Ouchita Smallmouth. They are indigenous only to extreme S.E. Oklahoma and S.W. Arkansas. Stream conditions keep them from getting to big; cyclic streamflow and drought conditions. A good size one is usually about 1lb. Hence, I was tickled when I caught this beauty. Promptly put him back in.
The fishing was great. My son fished all of both days beside me. He can fish and wade with the best of them. We slept - literally - under the stars and enjoyed the solitude. If you are interested, the pictures are from Big Eagle Creek. I have some of the Upper Mountain Fork I might post.

BSD

cool! nice pics. I didn't know about that strain of smallmouth, it sounds like something I could get into. A couple times a year I go after our native cutthroat the greenback and regardless the size the smile is just a little bit bigger when you catch one.

I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to fish.

Very cool pics BSD. That is a nice smallie. The pictures remind me of the smaller, Ozark streams back home.

My father and I had a very nasty relationship. I'm 33 and haven't seen or spoken to him since I was 19 but I can still recall the few times he took me fishing. Granted, there were small time frames between yellings but a kid loves those bonding moments. I'm sure your kid is beaming and will remember it for eons. Good for you man.

-river

Yeah, I have three boys. It is the middle one who really enjoys the outdoors, like me. My oldest one - now nearly 16 - use to be a regular partner out on teh water. However, he soon started finding other interests. He is more of a home body. My youngest one is somewhat tempermental so if he is not catching fish, he loses interest. My middle one - the one on the picture - is a lot like me. Catching or not catching fish does not drastically alter my evaluation ofthe day. Experiencing and learning about the natural world, playing in the streams and rapids, discovering new creatures, is satisfactory by itself.

Here is a picture of the Upper Mountain Fork River. It is also in S.E. Oklahoma. Begins in Arkansas - for a coupel of miles - before winding West and then South into Broken Bow Lake. Going back next weekend.
5-22-2006-02.jpg

This is one of Joseph catching a small smallmouth.
5-22-2006-10.jpg

Back