NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Colorado Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2019, 08:24
NAXJA Member

Re: The Colorado BS thread

I'll keep that in mind when I get to that point on mine.
Old July 17th, 2019, 14:30
NAXJA Member

Ordering new trailer axles but not sure the time will be there to put my trailer back together b4 labor day weekend , so I do believe I've found a solution with A-J time rentals at $80 a day they have trailers made wide enough and heavy enough for the Iron Curtain...Figure it's worth the $240-320 for 3-4 days so I don't need to cut corners on the rig to get the trailer rolling with short time...lol... I'd rent a uhaul but don't want to be trying to fit 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag
Old July 17th, 2019, 20:54
NAXJA Member

My gas tank is relocated thru the floor. I had every intention of mounting my battery back there between the tank and the rear seat but a buddy of mine was acting like I was crazy for doing so. Am I? Hell idk but I dont want this bursting into a fiery ball of death on the trail. Plus the kid sits back there. I have a cutoff switch that'll be on there, that should prevent any sparking when hooking the cable up. What do you guys think? The other option is between the front and rear seat on the floor but really didn't want it there. Fits much better in the empty space out back.
Old July 17th, 2019, 21:27
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
My gas tank is relocated thru the floor. I had every intention of mounting my battery back there between the tank and the rear seat but a buddy of mine was acting like I was crazy for doing so. Am I? Hell idk but I dont want this bursting into a fiery ball of death on the trail. Plus the kid sits back there. I have a cutoff switch that'll be on there, that should prevent any sparking when hooking the cable up. What do you guys think? The other option is between the front and rear seat on the floor but really didn't want it there. Fits much better in the empty space out back.

Mounting a battery in well made properly secured tray shouldn't pose much of a risk with everything secured. You can even cover the battery . I got 3 optima batteries I may put the two I have not installed in the back I have no worries about blowing up since my batteries would be installed like the front in a battery box that is not going anywhere and my rollover valve works in my tank so it's not gushing fuel out anyway...In a side note my optima fits very easily up front where the off and coolant tank was before the strut towers ...
Old July 19th, 2019, 07:15
NAXJA Forum User

As long as your battery is secured, and terminals aren't open (e.g. nothing could fall across them), there's little worry.

The only issue I'd have would be if not running an AGM / Gel Cell the off gassing you might get. Even then, unless the rig is fully closed off...meh.

My battery is about a foot from my fuel cell in the buggy.

It would have to do some serious stuff to even move an inch.
Old July 19th, 2019, 08:53
NAXJA Member

I just happen to have Two extra brand new Yellow top optima batteries sitting would make a good deal on one much cheaper than even a store brand .
Old July 19th, 2019, 11:33
NAXJA Member

I got a battery hold down/box from chassis unlimited. Planning on putting a piece of umhw or something over the top to keep anything from shorting. The battery I have has been getting old and has been starting to puke some acid out so been planning on the AGM route.
Old July 20th, 2019, 23:10
NAXJA Member

The RCV shafts went very easily they did not require any "modification to fit the hub vs the Yukons they replaced where I had to cut off about 1/2 inch off the end of the stub shaft and cut a new groove for the snap ring . The only issue I had was the passenger side that was the first side I did my ori strut mount over the knuckle and I left almost no room to remove the king pin cap vs the passenger side I decided to raise it about 3/32 higher since I learned my lesson on the first mount ...so it took some pry bar action to squish the cap between the spring eliminator and bottom of the ori . If I had to do it over I would assemble the driver side on the Jeep to not have to fight the tight clearance of my king pin cap and strut mount ...But removing the knuckle and installing the boots off the Jeep makes them very easy as you just simply slip a piece of tube over the shaft and tap the seal onto the cv bell then slide the shafts home in the axle.

The Yukons still look brand new the spline show no sign of deforming and the joints are reasonably tight ...I'll provably end up keeping these as spares since my housing is the 78-79 making them a hard sell as most people don't have that year , but if I didn't break the Yukons these are very unlikely to go anytime soon.
Old July 21st, 2019, 12:29
NAXJA Forum User

The stars at night are big and bright...
Old July 21st, 2019, 12:39
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflores View Post
The stars at night are big and bright...

Man it's too hot in Texas .
Old July 22nd, 2019, 06:58
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-tonxj View Post
...I'll provably end up keeping these as spares since my housing is the 78-79 making them a hard sell as most people don't have that year , but if I didn't break the Yukons these are very unlikely to go anytime soon.
I kept my Yukons for spares. They sit in the trailer box (padded with foam) as in case.

That being said, if I break an RCV, not sure the Yukons will do me much good.

But, in the case someone else breaks, and either has the same width, or just needs a stub...I've got some.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 14:34
NAXJA Member

Will be taking a week off for labor day weekend and will and renting a trailer for the week since I don't have time to get my trailer ready ... So anyone know of anything going on that week ? I may trailer out to Moab ...lol... my only reservations there is Moab is hot as F $%# This time of year and I hate the heat and area bfe is closed .
Old July 23rd, 2019, 14:55
NAXJA Forum User

Has anyone run Morrison jeep trail in Wyoming?
Old July 23rd, 2019, 18:54
NAXJA Member

Power steering pump is starting to howl on the XJ and with a zip locker and 35's steering can be a bit tedious too. I was thinking of doing a Durango box and WJ pump but wanted to get some thoughts on both upgrades. I don't think there is anything wrong with the steering box itself (although if its original it has over 260K on it) so was thinking of doing an AGR super pump instead. They're $235 and make more pressure than the stock pump.

Last edited by DutchVDub; July 23rd, 2019 at 18:59.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 23:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
Has anyone run Morrison jeep trail in Wyoming?
What are you looking for.