• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yokohama Tires Question, Geolander AT+II vs MT Directionals

JT_Law

NAXJA Forum User
Ok.

I currently have the Geolander AT+II's on the chero in 31x10.5-15. http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=11

So far, they have taken me everywhere I wanted to go by airing down to 10-15psi, and I mean everyyyy where, mud, snow, sand, rocks, whatever. Dang things even took me places that rigs with bigger shoes and rear lockers had to winch, till we got to:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/551456202/2510787980078539101zEkGik

http://media.putfile.com/Rubi_TSF-06-17-06_Rocky-Uphill

:gonnablow

Now then, I am hoping to finish opening the wells soon, am getting a lockright for the d35 (3.53's for now), winch hopefully next week, and am 2 TJ rear flares from being ready to open the wells and go larger.

Dillema, I know the capabilities of the Geolander AT+II's, and if I go to metrics I can get them in a 315-75-16 (34.6x12.4ish).

The MT directionals, http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=100&ID=lt are available up to a 35x12.5-15.

Has anyone run the MT's? What do you think of them?

Also, I know I aint gonna get away with 12.5's on the factory '98 rims I have on the '90. What would you suggest for width/backspace. The factory rims scrub the driver side lca and flax into the spring tower hard, right slide clears fine, I know it needs some track bar adjustment, but hate to since the control arms are nice and straight even tho the pass tire hangs out about 1-1.5" more than driver side.

Thanks for the input!
Ron

Ron,

On my 88 Chief, I ran the A/T's in a 265, then I went to the 31x10.50 M/T's after the 4" lift, both tires are fantastic and met every challenge I could throw at them!

Now on my 89 Pioneer, 8.5" lift, I run the Yokohama M/T's in the 35x12.50x15 you speak of, and they are just fantastic!! I run with other cherokee's in our club, 35" Pro Comp XTerrains and 33" MikyThompson Claws.. I think the Yoko out works both these other tires!!

I have found though if you get into shallow half-dry mud on the off camber hillside, where your revs are low, the M/T tends not to clear out so well, which by the way was the same issue with the Pro Comps and the Thompson's... I have been thinking of siping out every second lug on each second row to open up the tread pattern even more. You should also know about all three of these directional tires, that guys do turn them around and run them backwards for snow and mud.. which is said to solve this mud clearing issue!

To answer your question in short Ron, the A/T is better on-road and the M/T is bettter by 30% off-road in any size 31, 33, 35. I wish they made 2 other sizes 35x14.50x15 for even more flotation and a taller 37x12.50 for crawlin the rocks!

Either way you choose to go, you will not go wrong by choosing Yokohama Geolandars!

See mine on the website.

BC,
I've not really looked into the Yokohoma's, what kind of mileage have you gotten on yout MT's and what's the tread look like. My junk is a DD, and I will keep a second set of street tires, but these will have to be driven to the trail.

well i am a huge fan of BFG, and i ve been in the tire business for a while, i
still say they are the best you can get AT's or MT's. i was planning on
running them on my 92 w/3.5 lift, but i can across a great deal on some
32x11.5 Yoko Goe AT's. let me tell you i didnt have much faith in them, but
they suprised the hell out of me.they have got me out of a ton of tight
spots once aired down. i havent heard much about the MT's. AT's got my vote

On my 265 or 275, Rx15's I got about 70,000 KM's abt 55,000 Miles of hard street and mtn road driving, all yokohama's are a soft compound rubber, softer than BFG, Toyo and others, but they grip the road better and I use my DD in my delivery business, drive hard and drive fast and hot summer pavement on the windy mtn roads eats up tire rubber quite fast... I drive my Yoky A/T's for their grip.. not for long mileage!

As far as the M/T's, they are quite an open tread tire along with the soft rubber compound, so if you charish long life, most yokohamas won't fit the bill, there is a commercial yoky tire above the A/T's, I think called the SV5 which is a harder rubber compound, which may suite you DD needs better, but they are more closed tread than even the A/T's

I ran the ATs on my XJ and the wifes KJ. Really liked the performance, grip, noise/vibe, etc. Until they gave up on both vehicles around the 20-25k mark. Notice very closely that the 40k warrantee no longer exists.

Nope, its BFG for me.

JT_Law said:
Ok.
So far, they have taken me everywhere I wanted to go by airing down to 10-15psi, and I mean everyyyy where, mud, snow, sand, rocks, whatever. Dang things even took me places that rigs with bigger shoes and rear lockers had to winch, till we got to:
Ron

its like ive always said it aint the vehicle its the driver

DansGreyMj said:
its like ive always said it aint the vehicle its the driver

I'll take that as a compliment :)

So far I love the wear, but I only have about 3k on em, considered the BFG's but for the $ :shocked: One of the guys on the trip had the 35" MTs and he tore the ends off 3 lugs, this was after he had one replaced when he made one run in snow and played on some round rocks at his Dads place and ripped the top 2/3 off of 5 lugs mid tread and put a 6" gash in one down to the cords. I ran the same terrain as he did on this trip and got some scratches in the tread and one .020 deep sidewall slice.

I appreciate all the input, and look forward to more as people red this as $ don't come fast these days so i really do want to make a wise and informed choice, I know I love the AT's so it is mainly finding out what the general feel is for the MT's that will determine which i go with. This is at some point, probably by end of summer, going to be a trail rig only, and get hauled around on a trailer either by my '98 Xj or the gf's 95ZJ.

Back