NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Colorado Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Colorado Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 144 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old May 13th, 2017, 08:48
XJholic

Re: The Colorado BS thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by YELLAHEEP View Post
Well, it was inevitable I suppose. ........

My storage lot rent got raised again..... 24'x40' fenced lot was $200/mo 6 years ago, went to $300 3 years ago, now is now $400. Just can't justify it.

Add insult to injury..... they won't rent me smaller space as my junk is too junky and no longer is welcome due to a new "appearance standard policy" they're adopting. So, if I don't pay up....I'm out.

So, I'm gonna have to drastically reduce my remaining stash...... as in empty out the u-haul truck and sell it.

Probably sell the MJ trailer....... hate to.

Hoping to relocate the enclosed trailer with the '46 Olds, and my '67 Cutlass to a storage space, and rent a 40' container for the rest of my crap and the MJ trailer.......and stay at or below $300/mo.

Wish me luck.......
Thats a bummer, Denvers just getting nuts with prices of crap. Well I know someone looking for MJ parts
Old May 13th, 2017, 09:52
NAXJA Member

They're just doing while they still can, the bubble is about to burst.
Old May 13th, 2017, 15:41
NAXJA Member

Well, I'm between 2 places to reburn my TS Performance chip on the 7.3L PSD. Its between Riffraff Diesel and DP-Tuner. They both offer the tunes I want. Riffraff will be a little cheaper but when I'm researching these things it seems like the majority of the guys are using DP-Tuner's tunes on their trucks.

Modes I'm going for:
1 - Stock
2 - High Idle/Warm Up
3 - Whisper/Quiet Idle
4 - 60hp DD/Economy
5 - Exhaust Brake/Decel (closes the EBPV and locks the TC)
6 - 60hp tow (with revised shift points and TC lock up protocols)

I'm going to call them Monday and nail down who I'm going with. I'm not sure if Riffraff's Exhaust Brake tune deals with the TC or not, I'm assuming it does since they mention TC changes for their tow tune. I also thing that their daily driver tune is a +70hp and their economy tune is +30hp. I'd rather be right between that, which is where DP-Tuner's puts it. I'm also going to ask if the Quiet Idle tunes are really worth using up a slot for or if I'm better off putting something else there. I've read mixed reviews on that, but there are some YouTube videos of it seeming pretty damn effective. It would be nice to be able to leave the truck on when ordering a double cheese burger from time to time. I think it would also be nice (for the neighbors at least) when dropping off/picking up my kid early in the morning.
Old May 14th, 2017, 16:18
NAXJA Member

Gotta love the parts store people... When I finished my gas tank relocation, I went in to buy some filler neck hose. I told them what I needed, and they sold me this nice flexible piece of gates hose. Well only now I. Found out it's coolant hose. The new stuff I got from gates is super nice but $24 a foot!
Old May 14th, 2017, 18:57
NAXJA# 2091

That's nuts, I rent 3, 750 sq ft shops, for $375/month each, was paying $300/month for over 12 years.

Quote:
Well, it was inevitable I suppose. ........

My storage lot rent got raised again..... 24'x40' fenced lot was $200/mo 6 years ago, went to $300 3 years ago, now is now $400. Just can't justify it.

Add insult to injury..... they won't rent me smaller space as my junk is too junky and no longer is welcome due to a new "appearance standard policy" they're adopting. So, if I don't pay up....I'm out.

So, I'm gonna have to drastically reduce my remaining stash...... as in empty out the u-haul truck and sell it.

Probably sell the MJ trailer....... hate to.

Hoping to relocate the enclosed trailer with the '46 Olds, and my '67 Cutlass to a storage space, and rent a 40' container for the rest of my crap and the MJ trailer.......and stay at or below $300/mo.

Wish me luck.......
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old May 14th, 2017, 20:11
NAXJA Member

Found a place that will store my junk near Santa Fe and Titan Rd. $320 got me an 11'x36' space to park the enclosed trailer and one car (hopefully), and a 40' shipping container for all the crap in the uhaul van and the MJ trailer will fit in it as well.

The Eliminator comes home. Hoping that'll force my hand to build it.

End of Watch: MC1, 1312 & 0369....... Rest easy brothers, we've got it from here. -----
Old May 14th, 2017, 23:16
NAXJA Member

Quote:
The Eliminator comes home. Hoping that'll force my hand to build it.
That's ironic! I was just asking Kittrell if we should stage an intervention: A mob shows up at your house with a handful of wrenches and a Git-R-Done attitude!
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:11
NAXJA Member

That wouldn't be an intervention.......

That would be a BLESSING....... Well sort of..... If everything we're ready to swap out and bolt on.....

Not unlike Kittrell, my Eliminator build standards will be nit picky and not a throw it together process. This truck I do care about.

There will be some rust repair to be done to the floor and battery tray area before the lift gets done.

The "new" engine needs painted and parts replaced before being put together and installed.

All the bumpers and sliders need blasted and painted or powder coated....

Stuff like that.

End of Watch: MC1, 1312 & 0369....... Rest easy brothers, we've got it from here. -----

Last edited by YELLAHEEP; May 15th, 2017 at 08:28.
Old May 15th, 2017, 12:56
NAXJA Forum User

Anyone in here ever purchase a cyclinder head from Clearwater Cylinder Heads??

http://www.cylinder-heads.com
Old May 15th, 2017, 13:22
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippled View Post
Gotta love the parts store people... When I finished my gas tank relocation, I went in to buy some filler neck hose. I told them what I needed, and they sold me this nice flexible piece of gates hose. Well only now I. Found out it's coolant hose. The new stuff I got from gates is super nice but $24 a foot!
I went to Napa the hose was expensive the hose is for fuel etc , but I did not like the angle so I cut up a spare radiator hose for my filler the hose is not constantly submerged in fuel it should last . What I plan to do is use the good rubber to couple a hard fitting to the tank to get my hard bend then go from there , but this weeks project will be the rear rebuild of the failed truss , and the front upper links really bug me with only having 1/2 inch bolts in the upper arms , so need to order 6 more joints and find time to add a set of triangulated uppers .
Old May 15th, 2017, 14:59
XJholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirteexj94 View Post

I have not but I've read some decent reviews about them. When I had a 01 I was looking at their heads to replace the crappy one.
Old May 15th, 2017, 15:45
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
I have not but I've read some decent reviews about them. When I had a 01 I was looking at their heads to replace the crappy one.
Yeah my 00s head just cracked on me
Old May 15th, 2017, 18:32
NAXJA Member

After talking to both Riffraff Diesel and DP-Tuner I've decided to go with Riffraff for my new tunes. He was able to explain the tunes better and gave me a better feeling about it. He also said if anything doesn't seem right when I reinstall the chip I can just send it back and they'll make adjustments for free.

As I suspected they both said that the quiet idle tunes don't always make a huge difference on the SD's with the split shot injectors. Its more for the OBS trucks or guys with aftermarket single shots. As such I'm going to go with this order for tunes.

1 - Stock
2 - High Idle/Warm Up
3 - 100+Performance/Hot tune (for when the Prius pisses me off)
4 - Economy
5 - Exhaust Brake
6 - 60hp Tow
Old May 15th, 2017, 18:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Yeah my 00s head just cracked on me
I am running a TUPY 0331 head that came from a machine shop in Panama City, Fla. It was a rebuilt & they did a fine job. There are other shops in Chicago & Las Vegas. The Clearwater heads are manufactured in China and I have heard some comments about casting cleaning needing to be done. I would buy with the most liberal return policy you can find.
Old May 15th, 2017, 21:27
NAXJA Member

Quote:

I bought a Mazda from a customer at the shop and it needed a head. Ordered it from them came fairly quickly but their reviews are 50/50. Either really good or terrible. Ive been slacking on putting it together but looked to ok quality. Make sure you blow out all the passages.