NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:15
NAXJA Forum User

Clayton Off-road

Hey all long time reader first time poster
My question is, Has anybody purchased a clayton's offroad long arm upgrade kit?
I have a 4.5" rusty off-road lift on my 99 XJ that i am going to convert to a long arm lift.

I was wondering if the products are good to go, and if anybody has installed any of their products on the XJ?
http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id=110

Any help on subject would be very helpful.
Thanks
Old April 2nd, 2010, 21:27
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Clayton Off-road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99XJSp View Post
Hey all long time reader first time poster
My question is, Has anybody purchased a clayton's offroad long arm upgrade kit?
I have a 4.5" rusty off-road lift on my 99 XJ that i am going to convert to a long arm lift.

I was wondering if the products are good to go, and if anybody has installed any of their products on the XJ?
http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id=110

Any help on subject would be very helpful.
Thanks
I bought the 6.5" long arm kit and installed it in November 2007. I like the square arms, even though it does not necessarily provide any actual advantage over other designs. The arms can certainly take hits. Not that it matters a lot; I always assumed I would be on them a lot, but since the install and lots of trips to Moab, I have only touched them on rocks and such a couple of times. I really like the crossmember set up it comes with. Over 2 years in, I have had no issues with any of the components of the kit. My upper bushings on the axle side go out pretty quick, but that is a characteristic of the radius arm set up in general.

My opinion - their stuff is STOUT. I would buy it again.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:29
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Clayton Off-road

I also have their LA upgrade. I built my own lift with a mix of Rubicon Express coils, and Big Offroad leaf springs.

However, their crossmember with LCA's and UCA's is beef. I don't have any worry about damaging these pieces. It was a major upgrade over my Rusty's LA kit.

The best part about the kit, in my mind, is how easy disassembly is. I can leave the LCA's attached, and remove the middle of the crossmember to have access to my tranny/tcase etc. With my Rusty's kit, there was a lot more work involved to do this, A LOT.

However, each LA kit offers its advantages/disadvantages. For example, TNT's LA upgrade provides better ground clearance with their Y shaped long arms, as well as an integrated skid plate with their belly pan. But, again, when it comes to accessing the drivetrain, there's a lot more work involved. I'm not too concerned about the ground clearance with my arms, or my crossmember. In addition, I can always purchase skid plates from a manufacturers and keep all that protected.

If I were to do a radius arm style upgrade again, I'd go with Clayton in a heart beat as well.

HTH

Scott