• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New engine idling rough, running hot, low vacuum - need help

bulfo4

NAXJA Forum User
1996 XJ 4.6L stroker, automatic, 4x4

Long story short, we put in a stroker into the Jeep a few months ago and have been having a number of issues getting it to run at all, and then to run well, and we could really use some expert Jeep insight (additional info here: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3619)

So here's where it's at now...starts fine hot or cold, idles rough (sounds like it'll rattle to pieces), low vacuum (2-3" under where it should be), drives underpowered (worse than a stock engine by a good bit), and heats up on moderate hills and idling at lights (up to 227+, but drops easily going downhill, or with airflow).

We've checked for vacuum leaks and haven't found anything. We've indexed it dozens of times. We've replaced the IAC, Crank Sensor, Distributor & Cam sensor, CCV and air inlets, even the ECM.

We removed the 3-fan kit this weekend and went back to the zj fan clutch and the stock electric fan (which worked great before swapping engines).

It has stock injectors now and the 63mm throttle body now and feels like it's running rich (any carb cleaner to the intake chokes it instead of revving it up).

We've put a scantron on it and there are no codes, and I can post numbers if anyone can tell me which ones might be useful.

I get this nagging feeling it has to do with the timing somehow being off, like that the power's low and it's overheating and not causing enough vacuum because something internally's just...out of sync.

We're going to try to re-index the distributor to doublecheck that, and might check the compression again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You really need to post specifically which Comp cam you have installed.
I am suspecting the cam timing is off. Indexing the distributor won't fix that.

Back