NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 26th, 2003, 06:52
NAXJA Forum User

any ideas

Well I heard the rattle again this morning, so I drove around with my head out the window for an hour. It seems to be coming from the front of the jeep at the motor. I only heard it while I was in second gear going up hill. I have a 98 xj with command trac and auto transmission, could it be the valves? What should I do to fix it? I can do anything outside the engine but not much experience with interior of motors.
mikie
Old August 26th, 2003, 07:21
Member Number 257

I would suggest first determining exactly where the rattle is coming from. I had a rattle that I thought was valves. But after taking my time and looking around I discovered it was the timing chain rubbing the cover.
Old August 26th, 2003, 07:37
NAXJA Forum User

yes, the interior of the motor should be your last place to look, look for any loose things in the engine bay, (ie. Fan shrould hitting fan, loose bracket screws) check control arm bolts to make sure their tight.

I stopped looking for rattles and sqeaks in my rig. got tired. If you wheel your rig your not going to keep up with all the noise. So if you wheel the thing dont mind the noise.

"WHATS THAT NOISE??? KEEP WHEELING, YOU'LL FIND OUT."
Old August 26th, 2003, 07:58
NAXJA Forum User

I DON'T DO ANY HARDCORE WHEELING AS OF NOW. SAVING MONEY TO GET MY LIFT, I'M ON A WAL-MART BUDGET RIGHT NOW SO I DON'T NEED ANYTHING FALLING APART.
Old August 26th, 2003, 09:18
NAXJA Forum User

aside form the obvious things that can fall off and rattle....it could be the engine knocking under load up the hill or it could also be the rear (tranny) mount. I don't know about the '98 but my '89 rear mount compressed and allowed the exaust to rattle intermittently.

Good luck,
Jay in MA
Old August 26th, 2003, 10:21
PostMaster General

check upper and lower shock bushings