• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modification for smog cert. in CA

Eddie G.

<- My Grocery Getter :)
When I was checking out the XJs to buy, I saw an 89 Limited where the guy had replaced the return hose that went from front of the valve cover to the airbox with a 4" diameter or so chrome round gizmo (for the lack of better word) that was about 1" or so thick and was not piped to anything. He said after doing that mod he passed the smog.

I didn't get a chance to find out what that gizmo was. Anybody can shed some light on this? Is that some kinda collector cup or filter?

Thanx...Eddie

The XJ 4.0L engine doesn't use a PCV valve, it controls the crankcase ventilation by the size of the "suck" tube -- which is the small tube from the rear of the valve cover. The larger tube from the front of the valve cover to the airbox is the crankcase intake. If the small tube gets plugged up, pressure builds up and forces air with oil fumes to flow through this tube the wrong way, depositing oil in the air filter.

What he did was to "solve" the problem by avoiding solving the problem. That chrome thingie is probably a small air cleaner. I am surprised that a mod like that would pass the visual inspection in CA.

Thanx for the explanation. Hopefully will receive my FSM soon.

Visual inspection in CA depends on who is the inspector and how awake that person is. My buddy's 'stang with K&N cone filter and *no* CARB certificate passed the visual with flying colors!

Eddie

Back