• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 4 speed

xcm

NAXJA Forum User
seeming as how allmost every d30 build posted is oriented towards rock crawling, i thought i'd post a question to minds in the know...

how would you build a d30 for speed? obviously some kind of truss.... but are alloy shafts/upgraded ujoints needed for the occasional hill climb?

the way i see it at this point, i can afford full truss work OR alloys, not both...

obviously, im trying to keep this cheap, not for budget reasons, but rather the 'shoulda built a 44' reason... if i must drop $1500, it should be for a 44.

but im tired of 2wd sinse swapping in a 4.56 d44 rear.

final question, non disco d30 + aussie in a np231 part time xj that originally had a vacuum disco... any problems? i'll need a new driveshaft right? (sinse mine was originally un-balanced at hi speeds)

what about the JK d44 front? has it seen desert time yet?

thanks

I don't see upgraded shafts being necessary for an occasional hill climb unless you're planning on running huge tires. I'd truss the thing before I worried about breaking a shaft, assuming you're planning on running tires at a reasonable size.

You'll have no issues with the non-disco d30. Your front driveshaft will spin all the time, of course, but that's normal.

Talk to Skullvarian, he's building a Jeepspeed rig and just finished a nice truss on a D30.

I'd say the truss is more important than the shafts as the shafts wont prevent bending the D30 when you catch a little air.

Beyond the truss, you'll want to gusset the inner C's, below the C's, uca mounts, lca mounts, .. beef must be had by all.

T&J Performance (a sponsor) sells a d30 gusset kit for the go fast.

http://www.tandjperformance.com/products/barnet/d30_g_kit.shtml

I personally don't think that is "complete", but its beyond a good start, and will get you thinking in the right direction.

we actually have a d30 trussed and ready to go here. we build them to order. we also have our d30 gusset kit (thanks cal) that is proven. if you would like me to post pictures of how we truss a housing for going fast let me know and ill have it up in a bit. here is my jeepspeed 2wd front beam. (currie/sato brothers built)

NRTFrontHousing1.jpg

thanks for everyones contributions, skulvers and the t&j stuff is as allways an inspiration.

to sum up my situation, the problem is the welding. i want to do the fabbing, i have no fancy steel nor high end welders. i have a basic home depot 110 mig machine and misc steel bar, square tube and thin plate. im no expert welder, but i would like to try... thinking of fabbing up some reinforcement and tacking it in place, hoping the welds look sufficient enough to keep going...

knowing they wont =\

buy a truss and pay someone in your chapter beer to weld it. Making c gussets is easy and you can just plate the upper mount with .125 or .187 and do the same with the lowers.

here are some pics of my beam
xjspeed009.jpg

xjspeed017.jpg

done with flux wire :(
My next russ will be much better with what I have learned and plus now I have mig wire and gas :)

Back