• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
How can i tell if my 96 Xj has a tow package?

If it doesn't, apparently it's towing capacity is about 2000. What would happen if I tried to tow a 3400 lb trailer with it's own 'pulse brakes?'

The visible items would be a class III receiver and a 7-pin plug. That,s a lot of trailer even if it has surge brakes. What's the terrain(hills, mountains)? How far are you going? Do you have any brake upgrades?

Also check the rear diff for a tag that says use LSD lube.

I assume yours is an auto. Manuals did not come with tow packages.

Reading your previous threads, I am assuming this is a 96 w/ a AW4. Do you have the stock 3.55 gears? When you added the trans cooler, what brand and size was it? Do you have it in addition to the radiator cooler? If so is it before or after the radiator? Also what size tires are you running?

With my ol 91, I installed a trans cooler, the upgraded newer cooling fans and a set of helper coil springs in the back. Also...went through and replaced the whole cooling system...radiator, water pump hoses, Tstat. I towed a 3000lb car from Florida to Texas then two years later back to Georgia. Pulled it just fine. Also pulled a 3000lb pop up camper. Good luck!

You can physically tow a 3400 pound trailer as long as the receiver hitch will take it. I would be concerned about the ability to stop and the wear and tear on your suspension and drivetrain. Just rent a box truck. XJ's will tow almost anything you want them too, but they are really made to just tow 5x8 utility trailers with a riding lawnmower regularly.

I've pulled 4k of tile with my 96 probably 60 times... but only 40 miles or so... I don't condone this but it's worked for me

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back